free website stats program Why did you Buy a "Harley" | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why did you Buy a "Harley"

As a high school muscle car freak I always thought it was cool that they had the sound of a big block hot rod. Had a couple of crotch rockets but those were only going to get me killed so they went down the road. Since the only options left were a cruiser or a scooter I really only had one choice, buy the big block hot rod on two wheels.

I started out on a Honda, and felt the Harley riders were snobs and rode overpriced bikes. Also felt the air-cooled engines are old technology and wanted water-cooled in the Texas heat. Had full intentions of getting a VTX. Sat on some Harleys at a bike show, and felt they were too small. My wife convinced me to rent a Harley to see how it rode, just so I wouldn't be second-guessing myself after buying a VTX. First rental was a Streetglide. Didn't like how it shook at idle, but then I got on the highway. Ride was very smooth. Next, I rented a Roadglide. While I didn't like it as well as the SG, it was a very nice ride. After pricing bikes and the cost of accesories I wanted, it turned out the Harley wasn't much more expensive than the Honda. The Harley was not only a smoother riding bike, but had more maneuverability felt more balanced, and sounded a heck of a lot better than any of the metrics.

I'm now the proud owner of an 08 Streetglide. My wife inherited my Honda Sabre. When I got on the Sabre the other day to make sure everything was OK on it, I could barely ride it because of the poor balance and difficulty maneuvering at low speed. The wife has also told me I shouldn't leave the Harley at home alone, because she may ride it when it's unprotected. Guess I need to start looking for a Harley for her.

I had a Yamaha V-Star before I bought my Harley. It was ok for my first bike. After I sold it I told myself my next bike would be a Harley. I kind of saw myself on a Fatboy or other softail model at first. I am really glad I found this Road King that I bought. I've only had it just over 3 weeks but am 99.999999% sure I won't be selling it. I pretty much plan on riding it until it just won't go anymore.

I hope I'm the same way, but in case I'm not I'm holding unto my VStar 1100.
I bought the RK to see what the devotees like about them. I said I'll give it a year and if I don't love it, it'll be for sale.

It seems as the years go by that each new model year has some additional areas where they fall short. If it wasn't the crank bearings or cam chain tensioners or the cranks going out of tolerance, poor design in the 6 speeds, Auto adjust primary chain tensioners that are over tightening,compensator knock on start up in the new bikes, etc.

What I want to know is why the MOCO can't stand behind what they sell but chooses to try to make idiots out of the customer as a means of justification so they don't have to foot the bill for corrections to the weal links, one case in point here the IDS drive system. That was an "enhancement" and not a classified fix, so they wouldn't have to retrofit the 07 bikes at their expense. Ever notice an issue that is an obvious safety issue and the lack of a recall by the MOCO? Ever wonder why?

OK rant over!:D

Yer scarin' me dude!
I didn't notice any gear noise when I rode the one I'm getting. Maybe it's been fixed.

My first bike was a 100cc Yamaha when i was 14. I then progressed to a 450 double over-head honda. The next bike was an 1972 Triumph Bonnie which had a tragic end through 2 presidents. A 64 Old's 98 backed out in front of me and I center punched it in t:newsmile093:he back door. The Bonnie never made it. My next bike was a 650 Yamaha, got married and the Yamaha truned into a new living room suit. so last year after 29 years off the road children grown and gone went to the Harley shop and there was a 05 Eg. Called wife and told hre that it was time for me and bought the bike. I've always wanted a Harley and now can afford one it's just a man thing I guess.:newsmile093::khee

Now I'm wondering - why is Harley in quotations for this thread? Are we talking about virtual Harleys or something?:p

Back