free website stats program Why did you Buy a "Harley" | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why did you Buy a "Harley"

Yeah yeah, I know. Don't get the wrong idea, I love my new bike ( well, I do now anyway) but I would definately do a whole lot more research before I buy another new bike.

Yep, when the "bug" bites you it bites hard and quick! next thing you know there's a new Harley in the garage and you don't remember how it got there!

It all started in 1973 with a CB750 Honda. I was a young Marine away from home and a controling family while another Marine had orders out. For the sum of Five hundred dollars I owned a full dressed 750. My dream bike for many years after that was the Goldwing. I was all set to buy one this comming Christmas when I had the good fortune of walking into the local HD shop and fell in love. There sat the ride of my dreams. Gold What? I told the young man to leave me alone and for a half hour I dreamed. Three days later I called the dealer up and asked if the bike was still there, which it was, and I asked him how I could lock her in as I was watching six grandkids. The next day We were the proud owners of a 2008 FLHTCU in Candy Red Sunglo. Wow! We added a few extras and 30 days later, with 1030 miles on the clock Billie and I left for a 3,300 mile trip. What a blast! Along the way we have owned a few bikes but this is makes the miles go so nice.

The first Harley I remember seeng was about 1956 when I was 9 years old. Me and a couple of my running buddies were walking home from school and saw a blue one sitting at a burger joint. We walked over and looked at it fringe and all the stuff. I remember saying that the tires were as big as car tires and they might have been in those days.

Anyhow the owner came out and said hello. He kicked it a couple of times and it fired up with a roar and he had a big smile on his face. Probably because the thing actually started. I will never forget the sound of that engine.

Anyhow, it took me 50 years to get one and I don't regret it a bit. My personal opinion is most of us have loyalty to the brand not necessarily the company because they are in it to make money off us and like most companies, reluctant to admit responsiblity for anything.

It sort of reminds me of when I was in the infantry in Viet Nam. We were loyal Americans but we were not fighting for our country. We were fighting for each other because that was where our loyalty was. I think we ride Harleys because our loyalty is to the machine and all that goes with it.

Since I was a kid I have always wanted a Harley. I always have loved the looks and the sound of a Harley. There is nothing like them. A Harley is the only bike I would have.

It is as American as apple pie, hot dogs, & baseball. The sound, the feel, the rush, and a sence of pride rolling down the highway. It is like a beautiful woman always turning heads. It is like jumping out of an airplane. I cannot explain the feeling unless you have done it. It is American, Honor, Pride, & Glory.

A few years back if you talked to me I would have had nothing nice to say about HD. I bought into all the stereotypes that were put out . I wanted a metric cruiser . My wife on the other hand wanted a harley. Well after she talked me into going into a Harley shop it was all over:newsmile071:. I fell in love with the brand and now can't imagine owning anything else. I love the fellowship that goes along with the whole bike community. It doesn't matter to most people what you ride only that you ride. If it matters to someone what brand you ride the I don't want to ride with them . Harleys aren't for everyone but they are the ones for me.:yes

If I have to explain it...then why are you reading this forum??:18: You can buy cheaper (knock offs) but when it comes down to it .... pull up next to one of them at a red light and see the look on the other riders face(if you can see it through the full face helmet ..hahaha).... it says it all:D

diddo smitty901!!!! I've wanted one since I was a kid and finally I have one it is the only brand new thing I have ever owned.

Back