free website stats program Why Can't I Flush My Brakes w/ ABS? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why Can't I Flush My Brakes w/ ABS?

Don't really have a dog in this fight BUT..... I just completed a complete brake flush on my ABS equipped Ultra. What I did was, ordered a set of "Speed Bleeders" from speedbleeders.com. Installed them, opened Master Cylinders and used a Cajun Injector to suck out any sediment at the bottom of the Cylinders then bleed as per the instructions. Very simple, one-person operation and had ZERO issues with ABS afterward. One thing, make sure and order the catch bag (it’s like an I/V bag). Keeps from making a mess and contains the old fluid. Also, make sure to tighten bleeders good after completing the bleeding. I didn't get the rear tightened down completely and is squirted some fluid when I tested if before riding. Tightened it down, topped off the MS and good to go.

Last edited:
I vacuum bled my fronts when I put on a new line for a bar change.

Vacuum from bleeders to have onlya new fluid in place.

Brakes are more solid than new. No abs issues

I did mine, I figured worst case, I would have to load it on a trailer and take it to a dealer, but really it was a piece of cake. I used a mity-vac bleeder, sucked the old fluid out as I dumped the new fluid in. I flushed both the front and rear with a quart of fluid. Made sure there were no air bubbles, have solid petal and front grip. Did this last winter, been riding all season now with absolutely no problems.. or regrets.. For me it was a very easy flush,, this may or may not apply to others...:D

yes I have ABS

Last edited:
Ballpeen has the right answer...if you want to FLUSH the braking system...no issue. But if you want to BLEED the brakes with air bubbles in the line and the ABS sensor "catches wind" of a problem THAT is when you will have trouble. THAT is the diffference and why ABS option adds a "slight" CATCH to service. That is why you should go SLOW and not trigger diagnostics that need to be reset by the dealer! :)

The trick is to replace the fluid in the system without introducing air. first remove most of the fluid in master cylinder with small baster without going below the holes fill master cylinder and bleed normally keeping master cylinder topped off. I did it this way and used half a bottle for the front and the other half for the rear. No problems

Back