free website stats program Why Are Harley Rentals So Expensive? | Harley Davidson Forums

Why Are Harley Rentals So Expensive?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
There've been plenty of threads on the internet about whether Harleys are overpriced so I won't even go there. My question is why is it so darn expensive to RENT a Harley? I can rent a $20,000 car for around $30 or $40 a day but a $20,000 Harley will set you back well over $100. Over $700 for the week in most places. I love renting and exploring new places when I have enough time in other cities I visit but it's killing my checkbook!

I'm sure there's a very logical explanation that I'm simply missing so maybe someone can help me out. I hope the answer's not - "because they can!"

Ummmmm.... I'm still thinking..... give me a minute...... hang on, hang on....

OK - nope

Good question.But go further--Why does ANYTHING associated with 2 wheels
cost so much?Tyres,oils,spares,clothes etc etc.A lot of this stuff is made in
huge volumes so that old chestnut about "special" market niches isn't valid.
But yes,every time i've seen H-D rental prices and compared to cars,i've
thought exactly the same thing.:31:

Harleys are just like women, lovely to look at, no two are the same, EXPENSIVE, and will hurt you bad if you are careless with them........

When my wife shops she goes to the "Dollar Store", when I shop I go to the
HD store. That would be the "Hundreds of Dollars Store". Same thing applies
with car versus bike rentals.

Well Doc, Here's a couple of thoughts that have run thru my head.
Renting a bike takes in a very specialized market. VS everybody in the world out there trying to rent cars.
There is no reason for competitive pricing. I honestly don't know if you can even rent another brand of motorcycle. Can you?
And if you can, Who would want to??
It really hasn't been all that many years ago that HD started their rental program in a big way. Maybe, now that it has been established a few years, it is time to make some revisions and upgrades to the system. Possibly they could consider a "preferred customer"..ie.."frequent flier" type program where customers who use the rental service more often are given special pricing or other percs.

Well Doc, Here's a couple of thoughts that have run thru my head.
Renting a bike takes in a very specialized market. VS everybody in the world out there trying to rent cars.
There is no reason for competitive pricing. I honestly don't know if you can even rent another brand of motorcycle. Can you?
And if you can, Who would want to??
It really hasn't been all that many years ago that HD started their rental program in a big way. Maybe, now that it has been established a few years, it is time to make some revisions and upgrades to the system. Possibly they could consider a "preferred customer"..ie.."frequent flier" type program where customers who use the rental service more often are given special pricing or other percs.

Good point on the specialized market. They know an out of town HD rider simply wants to rent a Harley, will pay high prices, and certainly can afford it.

I think a large part of it is simple supply/demand also. Look at the size of a typical HD dealer rental fleet compared to the number of cars on any Hertz lot. The HD dealer has to spread the costs of his rental program over a smaller number of units. I rented from Sacramento HD a while back and they are getting out of the rental business because their manager says it is the least profitable portion of their business.

Yes, you can rent other brands. I'm not sure about through the dealers but there are independent outfits that do it.

Back