free website stats program Why an Ultra? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why an Ultra?

RichardS said/shows it best (gr8 pics). As you can see, you can modify & alter the bike for many riding styles/conditions. It's very convertable & who wouldn't want to own the "Cadillac" of HD...:s

I'm enjoying my SG, but my next UG will probably be a UC.

Last year the wife and I did a 5 day 2.5K plus trip on a Heritage. Got home immediately started saving cash for a bigger scoot. I love my Ultra, now we can go 900 miles in a day and am ready for more in the am.

Good morning Gang
I may get some slack here but being a previous Ultra Rider I would like to make a comment I loved my 09 Ultra and previous to the 09 I rode a 07 EGC
The Ultra was a great bike and on the long trips nothong could comer close to the comfort and pleasure it gave me. However daily commutes into the city I find that my first love the RKC is a more enjoyable ride, After 3 years of riding the big bikes (EGC+ Ultra) the RKC feels like a Sporty even though the size is the same as the ECG & Ultra I gues the best solution for me is to have both bikes.

Just my .02 worth

Ride Safe
BuffaloBILL

:s As has been said, for me its the whole pkg. Prior to the Ultra I had back to back Kawasaki Nomads an 02 1500 and an 07 1600. Both of these were great bikes and I liked both. But as I ride mostly 2 up with my wife I wanted more storage for our tours. Many of my friends added tour packs & fairings to their Nomads with great success and I had thought about doing this until HD came out with the new frame in 09. The new touring frame was the deciding factor for me in going to the 2010 Ultra. So far I have not been disappointed. Although I might add the HD is a lot more work to service than the Nomad.

I have to also agree with Buff Bill in that although the Ultra's handling is superb and better than a very well handling Nomad, the Road King does seem a bit more nimble. But that in part may be due to the fairing. The RK with the windshields greater visibility gives it a more compact feel to me. For my 2cw I don't believe anyone can go wrong on any of the new HD touring bikes I think the ride & handling of these new frames can hold their own with anything out there and are superior to most.:s

For me it was the road trips, The lowers are great ,cuts down on fatigue no wind pressure on your legs makes a big differance on a long trip. Long trips are so much easier with the pizza box on the back and the two up seat is great for storeing an extra bag. If you don't do long trips then the RK is a great bike.

All a matter of preferance

Gee Larry, didn't mean to push you over the edge. i just love driving around on a harley. the rk is my baby and i wouldn't trade front and back air ride for the world. it handles well and is a solid bike. the ultra handles like a much smaller bike. i was shocked when i first rode it. it whips like the old honda qa50. big, easy, grippy tires, and where do i sign. just like hunting, we have a favorite gun. the rk is king but old bones like comfort. oh, and don't give the wife my email. i'm afraid of angry wives. lol.

this thread is exactly why HD makes MANY different models.....different strokes for different folks. I love my Ultra but I really miss my Heritage.....Someday I'll have 1 of every model

My wife,
She felt like she would fall off of any other harley. She will ride on the Ultra all day without complaint. In fact she wants to ride.
I also like the fairings in cold weather. The extra storage is really nice.
But mostly I bought the bike for me and my wife to have something we love to do together. She will go on the bass boat some but we have had the bike since October and bass boats for the 20 years we have been married. She has been on the bike more often than the bass boats.
That is why we have an ultra.
Bob

Cruise, tunes, more luggage space than some cars, the most stable bike I have ridden at highway speeds.
oh yeah, little kid 40 years ago saw a glide and always wanted a full dresser!

Back