free website stats program Why all the Harley Bashing? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why all the Harley Bashing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome aboard Train Man. When not riding, this is a good place to hang out, speak your mind, ask questions, provide answers..Lots of good people here.

To paraphrase one of our presidents, what do you mean by bashing? It seems to be human nature to complain. Sometimes the complaints are warranted, sometimes not. Many of the complaints on this forum seem to be aimed at resolving a problem. I certainly believe most of the forum members really like their HD bikes. Why else would you join this forum?

Buying American is certainly a worthy, but often difficult, goal. I try to buy local and try to buy American. Fact is, it is not always practical or possible.

As far as the moco, I think most of us hate the thought of the company failing. The loss of jobs and the loss of some great bikes would really stink. But..... I don't have a lot of sympathy for HD when I look at the prices they charge. Especially, before the economy went south. Remember when msrp was a "great deal"? I don't think I've bought one of their T-shirts in 3 years due to the high prices. Of course, the fact that I already purchased a ton of HD t-shirts may have helped me curtail my purchases.:D

All in all, I just don't see that much bashing. I see many more comments on how much folks enjoying their ride and are looking forward to some great riding weather.

Wow! T-Bone, I appreciate the etiquette lesson...that's almost as important as buying American. Truth told, this is my new account...I had an account in the past, but while busy traveling overseas I wasn't able to login and I believe it expired. My name is Train Man....what's yours? How am I doing? No harm no foul brother...no matter what your tag color is...I'm color blind anyhow (laughing).

I wasn't stating that folks in this forum are bashing Harley Davidson, I'm simply stating that some folk do bash them and my over-arching point is that we need to bond together as our grandparents did and make a difference. We can't continue to release our liabilities by saying "well, why should I buy American when they produce parts in other countries anyhow....oh well." Look folks, it's a fact that the deindustrialization of the United States is costing us jobs for the backbone of this country...our middle class. We have had over 1,800 manufacturing plants move to Mexico. They do this because of tax liabilities and labor costs. If we were to begin purchasing "Made in America" products as best as we possibly can, you would likely see a trend where companies begin to take foreign made products off the shelf and begin production here again...this means more jobs for our middle class...the backbone of this country's economy.

Having traveled all over the world I can tell you that other automobile producing countries are buying their own products and avoiding ours. I did a little homework for this one. For example, in 2008, the U.S. sold 6,500 vehicles to South Korea...they sold 450,000 vehicles to us. The numbers are similar in Japan. In fact, the South Koreans are so loyal to their brand Hyundai, many of their kitchen appliances and radios are made by them. The South Korean unemployment rate is currently 4% while ours is 8.8%....makes you think.

As far as quality...I simply said if it says Harley on it, it's a good product...that's my experience.

I think sometimes folks wake up a little crabby. Its easier to wake up crabby if you don't own a Harley. I find it harder to hear the bashing when there is wind in your ears.

To paraphrase an old song and tie it together with an old MC saying: "People see me having fun just a "riding" in the sun, tell them that I like it that way... Cuz I'm takin care of business!"

I think sometimes folks wake up a little crabby. Its easier to wake up crabby if you don't own a Harley. I find it harder to hear the bashing when there is wind in your ears.

To paraphrase an old song and tie it together with an old MC saying: "People see me having fun just a "riding" in the sun, tell them that I like it that way... Cuz I'm takin care of business!"

Hay ...IS that BTO :D...Great song Mad dog

Yes yes it is.

I have been noticing a lot of snippy grumpy folk lately. I think it's the winter we had, and the economy, and life in general. The antidote for that is to not perpetuate it. Arguing about how people argue about things? Double waste of time!

Come on people. Now, SMILE on your brother... try to LOVE one another. Right now, HUA?

Yes yes it is.

I have been noticing a lot of snippy grumpy folk lately. I think it's the winter we had, and the economy, and life in general. The antidote for that is to not perpetuate it. Arguing about how people argue about things? Double waste of time!

Well your rite thair..I for one need a ride on my moter sicker,,,and I dont want to die.....I cant rember the rest....:D..For me I own a small bisness and its been slow going this winter....A few years agow I quit a lot of fun stuff, Like drinking, smoking, bars, you no....Thair went all my frends, HA Ha...I will say I gess alot of us are in the same boat....We are going to get on the road soon...I shore like being on this fourm...It helps...Oh Are you grumpy Mr Mad Dog?? Is that how you got your name?..:)

Welcome Train Man. As far as the ecomomy goes. I try to buy american when I can, work truck is a Chevy but most of my power tools are not, wife drives a Jeep and I ride a Harley. History has shown just because it's made here does not mean its quality. Although that has changed in the past 10 years automobile wise. Like others have said you ride a Harley because you want to. I've rode friends metrics and it just didn't feel right. Maybe it was because it wasn't mine or I had a mental block cause it was a metric. Not my preference and that goes with cars and trucks too. Personally I view them to be the best for me anyways. Maybe not the case in the 80's but now for sure IMO. My first bike was 96 883 when I was 20 I got it for $4500 saved up and got it. Never had to get used to any other controlls either.

Not too grumpy unless I am at work!

The name thing: I've been Bull Dog for years... but I had to open a G Mail and Bull Dog Jim was taken.

I hear ya on the bar friends thing! I just can't hang any more either. Once or twice a year, stop in have a beer, shoot a game of pool, then I'm outa there!

I would dig finding a few guys that get that, who would rather just ride, or hang out in a shop and wrench. Without having to do all the patches and politics routine. but till then I am happy just being me.

Great view on life Mad Dog...that's exactly why we ride!!! Thanks for all the welcomes...this reflects the Harley community as I know it. I know it's not 100% possible, but when I visit my home in the rust belt with it's high unemployment rates, I feel the need to do what's best for them...even if it means paying a few bucks more and reading a label or tags. Thanks for your thoughts and feedback...now off to the dealer to pick up my scoot!:bigsmiley12:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back