free website stats program WHY 3 HOLES and USE ONE oil??? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

WHY 3 HOLES and USE ONE oil???

Here is my take on this subject. Three holes, all different. Engine. Transmission. Primary. Why contaminate one with the other. Each does its own thing. Think of your car or truck, same thing. Engine, trans, diff etc. The engine filter only has to filter out the motors' deposits, not the primary chain and clutches not the gears, just the motor. As far as using one oil when three used to be the way, technology. Why did they have to use 60 weight oil? Technology. Things change. Life gets easier.

Here is my take on this subject. Three holes, all different. Engine. Transmission. Primary. Why contaminate one with the other. Each does its own thing. Think of your car or truck, same thing. Engine, trans, diff etc. The engine filter only has to filter out the motors' deposits, not the primary chain and clutches not the gears, just the motor. As far as using one oil when three used to be the way, technology. Why did they have to use 60 weight oil? Technology. Things change. Life gets easier.

This was my take on the querry, there is different contaminants occuring in each compartment with different service intervals, which most people ignore and opt to do all at 3000, probably wisely so... I think one needs to concider the "anecdotal" info as well as the tested data.
Harley

Last edited:
The only thing I've learned is.........................

Another oil thread with various opinions.............surprise!!!!!!

At least it's entertaining............:p

This was my take on the querry, there is different contaminants occurring in each compartment with different service intervals, which most people ignore and opt to do all at 3000, probably wisely so... I think one needs to consider the "anecdotal" info as well as the tested data.
Harley

I like to do all three at 3000 miles. It keeps everything in top condition and you're only talking a bit over a quart in the primary of the 96 and a quart in the trans. There's NO substitute for clean oil in any engine or compartment.

Quote; drbillk
And, yes, Glider, I am a Captain... and when it comes to Harleys, I've been riding motorcycles over 40 years. However, without being negative to anyone...

I know the feeling.......
wilks3

Quote; drbillk
And, yes, Glider, I am a Captain... and when it comes to Harleys, I've been riding motorcycles over 40 years. However, without being negative to anyone...

I know the feeling.......
wilks3

wilks3

Your sarcasm is noted and not appreciated. Please read the rules about flaming.

Have been reading other forums, car, truck, HD, even John Deere.
Man I didn't realize oil was such a HOT topic.
Unless specifically asked, I'm done with any oil things.
wilks3

I like to do all three at 3000 miles. It keeps everything in top condition and you're only talking a bit over a quart in the primary of the 96 and a quart in the trans. There's NO substitute for clean oil in any engine or compartment.

Clean oil is what makes the seal and keeps the gaskets from hardening :s

Back