free website stats program Who wears leathers in the summer? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Who wears leathers in the summer?

Thanks to all for the feedback and advice. I purchased a HD mesh jacket and cooling vest. First rode with only the mesh jacket, 94 degrees with 55% humidity, t-shirt underneath and I have to admit, it was pretty comfortable. You really can feel the air through the jacket and the cooling effect. I can see how it would help to prevent dehydration.

I then soaked the cooling vest. Bid difference was the weight of the cooling vest with all that water and honestly it was not that much cooler than riding with just the mesh jacket.

Each ride was about an hour in duration at highway speeds.

Bottom line I am sold on the mesh jacket. Feel much safer if I was ever to take a spill, especially at highway speed.

Thanks again.

Like many others have said, its just too hot here in south texas to wear leather in the summer. I've been thinking about getting a pair of Draggin' Jeans and one of their shirts. They have a kelvlar layer or 2 in some spots to prevent road rash. Anybody ever worn them?

I wear Draggin' jeans when I ride my Harley, with HD leather jacket and leather vest most of the time.
But then the English summer does not compare to the Texan :s.

Draggin' Jeans are great - I have some additional impact knee pads which velcro inside the the jeans which I sometimes use - but not often. I haven't had the problem of the kevlar making skin sore but then everyone is different.
One thing I would say about mail-ordering the jeans (if you haven't tried them on first) - order a size larger than you wear in regular jeans because the additional kevlar lining takes up some space.:D

I don't wear leathers in the summer. I don't wear leather pants anytime at all -- jeans for me all year round. In summer I wear a Joe Rocket mesh jacket, which has some minimal armor -- wouldn't want to test it though. :)

Obviously I am a little late to this party but thought I'd kick in my .02 anyway! :D

I have a pretty nice little collection of Harley branded leather jackets, including several 100th Anniversary Jackets. Cathy also has a few. (She's not sure right now because we're not home but she thinks about a dozen.)

I am one of those guys who is truly sworn to riding with as much protection as I can comfortably wear, and I feel a jacket is a necessity. I've seen guys MONTHS after going down a hundred yards of blacktop without a jacket and even THEN they looked so bad and were in so much pain, and still facing multiple surgeries. So I have a jacket for every occasion, so to speak, as does my lovely bride.

WITHOUT A DOUBT, the BEST investment I ever made was the mesh style leather jackets we own for wearing on those days when it's so HOT it's almost impossible to overcome the urge to not don a jacket at all. Now, granted, when you hold these jackets up, you see about an equal amount of air as leather, but it's GOT to be WAY, WAY better than NOTHING!!!

I'm almost relieved though, when I go out for a ride and the temp is just a little cooler and I can put on a jacket that is thicker. That said, Cathy and I both have jackets of various thicknesses, from paper thing to rhino-like. We always endeavor to wear the thickest we can tolerate without over-heating.

Hope this helps!

I'm afraid Richard is dead right on this one, and ok, he's resource lucky to have gear for all conditions - I don't know what I would do if I lived somewhere where it got as hot as stink but I do know that I would not ride without kevlar, cordura or leather. I've said this before but I've spent too many hours cleaning out grit or sewing up wounds for poor souls who ran out of luck - it's not worth it. No protection - no ride, - call me a wimp if ya like, better that than the wire brush :bigsmiley30::x. JMHO

It varies on our temp here if we use leathers or not. If it is an early morning ride when we start out, we are using our chaps and coats. Then as the day goes on, I usually remove my chaps and open the vents in my coat. If I then get too hot, I exchange my coat for my leather vest. Then I still have my coat with me for the ride home when it is cooler again.

I'm on a trip right now where I expected cool temps in the Rocky Mountains and hot temps in the Okanagan valley in BC. My Joe Rocket mesh jacket has elbow, shoulder and back armour. It's great with just a t-shirt under it. It also has a waterproof liner if needed. Combined with a HD nylon windbreaker and a soft shell jacket under it, this combo kept me warm at near freezing temps in the mountain passes and peeled off in layers once down in the valley.

Joe Rocket Mesh Jackets

I am in GA, and wear my perforated leather jacket in the summer. Even with just a t-shirt, it is hot if I am not moving. I wear jeans in the summer and chaps or leather pants when it gets colder. I tried the Frog Tog towel thingy, but it did not work well.

I wear whatever I have, heavy duty boots, an armalith riding jeans from e-squad (look into them they are great, both in security, style and ventilation), gloves and my favorite leather riding jacket.

If I feel very brave I'll leave my back protector at home, that one really heats things up fast in the summertime, and since it hugs my back, there is no ventilation possible. The results of that I think are known to anyone who takes that occasional summer drive :)

Ow, and flip up helmet from Roof.

Take care,

p.s. I do mutter a non stop list of profanities while standing at a red light or in slow traffic though.

Pre-owned eBay is an excellent resource for jackets. I have found a few things there. I will wear chaps if the temps are below 60. I have a two-way Harley jacket that I can zip out one layer to just wear the mesh jacket underneath. I do feel a little more protected that way. I know the guys with tee-shirts and half helmets look at me like I am an oddball. I also wear a full helmet and flip up the face shield when it is really hot. I'm pretty comfortable with all this -- and feel a bit safer as well.

If it is really hot like now I prefer a mesh jacket with armour,but I will wear my leather as well(it is ventilated and water resistant)

After your first fall you get wiser!

Back