free website stats program Who rides 2 up on their Sportster? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Who rides 2 up on their Sportster?

I don't know how you managed. I am 5' 10" and weigh 180 and my wife is 5' 5" and weighs 140 and I don't have enough room on my XLH 1200 to be able to use the back support on my new Mustang seat. Sometimes I feel like I am riding on the gas tank. :(

When we were riding two up I was forced forward onto the gas tank a bit.

Picked my new 2009 xl883 and did the right thing and got the little lady a back seat unfortunately she has a herniated disk - bad hips and a spurred shoulder and found it uncomfortable.
I dont mind as it means I have the bike all to myself - greedy maybe but justifiably so !!!!!
She will go for a few "bar hops" and enjoys that but the rest is all mine
I personally think the xl883 and even 1200 are single seat bikes and they look better as such as well

I first bought the 883 and then a 1200. My wife and I are both small (Me - 70kg. She - 50kg) and although they were ok for short distances it was no pleasure to tour, even with a sundowner seat and backrest. I had to choose - get something bigger or stop. Easy choice - I now have an Ultra Classic and we are both ecstatic.

90% solo but i have the removable sissy bar with rack. Wife has ridden with me and have no complaints.

I am 6'x205 she is 5'3" x 115. We fit fine. Longest ride was 120 round.

I've ridden a fair amount on my old ('07) Sporty with a Corbin dual on it. I had the rider's back rest installed and my wife fit fine. She's 5'4", I'm 5'11".

Have Progressive shocks on the back and springs in the front.

While we were fine for a 100 miles or so, now that we spend most of the time on the new RK, our repsective bottoms are much happier! It is a fun bike though!

I own a 2008 Nightster and I replaced the stock shocks with 12.5" Dyna shocks. I ride two up with my wife it with no issues.

I have a mustang seat and mustang pillion with a detachable sissybar set up.

My wife claims she is very comfortable back there.

My wife and I are both 5' 7".

Unless you're both midgets don't bother with a Sporty for two up riding. That being said, you can do it if you're "adult" sized folk but you won't enjoy it much without making a lot of upgrades to the bike. Me and my old lady are too fat to be riding two up on my 1200C, we've done it once and decided not to do it again. Way too rough and we bottomed out with the springs adjusted all the way up. Oh well, guess we gotta get a bigger bike! :D

My wife and I rode our 2003 Sport for about 10K miles and it was just fine for casual touring. Neither of us can be described as anorexic. Touring modifications I made were a double-bucket seat and replaced the Hugger short shocks with longer ones.

However we plan to do some serious touring so blundered into the HD shop and had a fatal case of sticker shock. New tourers were over $20K once prep and TTL were added. A used touring bike the equivalent year & miles as the old Sport went well over $12K. Choke gasp. Went to multiple dealers and none were willing to deal.

Instead we went and bought an ex-Police Road King for half the used dealership price and am now eBaying it for touring duty.

I agree, sticker shock, heck ya i tried to trade up my 08 nightster, wow! unbelieveable , they wanted 2000 more down plus over 400 a month, I think this is my last harley as they are WAAAAY overpriced for what you get, that's almost my house payment, that's just plain retarded. Oh ya, i couldn't imagine riding 2 up on my bike, too rough the way it is.

Last edited:
I don't ride 2 up for the fact that I am bigger guy! But definately get a nice seat like the sundowner and don't worry.. The 1200 has the power!

Back