free website stats program Who rides 2 up on their Sportster? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Who rides 2 up on their Sportster?

Dude,

2-up coast to coast on a Sporty? I don't care what kind of seat you got, you definitely get the "Iron Booty" award. (in leiu of the word I wanted to use!! :D)

You can ride two up on a Sportster by changing seat and suspension and you'll be good to go. I rode two up coast to coast and back (Connecticut to San Fran) with my wife. Not for everyone but it can be done with relative comfort.

all i ahave to say is:bigsmiley12:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The stock seat is not particularly comfortable for the pillion on a very long ride and a sissy bar is a must if you want to keep your passenger on the back of the bike.
I ride 2-up fairly regularly on a 1200 Custom and after a few month I felt that I also had to modify the rear shocks as the stock ones were bottoming on large bumps.

I ride 50/50 two up and solo.

I added some Progressive 412 HD shocks and I just got a highway bar/pegs (still can't figure out how to keep them from spinning on the guard...)

but anywho... the next upgrade is a wider Mustang two up seat. The one I'm looking at is 420.00 USD. Upgrade the shocks and seats, and ensure you get the sissy bar to afford your passenger SOME comfort.

As a biker on a budget (just bought a car, the sporty and now a HOUSE within the last 3 years -consectutive year purchases) I'm adding a whole lot of toys to the sporty to make it last a two up ride for at least a couple hours of riding.

If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten a bigger bike- no doubt! But if you're on a budget and you can afford a couple grand in upgrades (as opposed to a lotta grand on a new bike) then you can do it.

My sporty's the XL883 and it handles my fiance and I just fine.

Oh by the way- I'm about 270 lbs @ 6'3" and my fiance is (and don't tell her i told you) about 140 lbs @ 5'2".

and here's what it looks like when you put us on the sporty...
n536260224_2130855_2089.jpg

What type of riding are you talking about? If you're doing the local bar hop scene or short day trip you'll probably be OK. However, if you're thinking about a weekender trip or longer you may want to consider a different ride. My wife and I had considered the 1200XL until we determined the type of riding we'd be doing most of the time. We decided on the Softail Deluxe and even then changed out the seat which made a huge difference for her. All that being said, there is something very sweet about a blacked out Sportster.

Be Safe...

I think it mostly comes down to how big you are. I could ride my Sportster solo fairly comfortably. Not great on trips longer than 100 miles, but acceptable. When the wife wanted to go along it just got to cramped. That was with a modified Sundowner seat and a sissy bar backrest for her.

I'm 6' and about 280. My wife is about 5' 8" and, well, let's just say she's appropriately sized to match me.

We ended up trading the Sportster for a Road King. Much better 2-up riding.

If I had to do it over again I would have gotten a Dyna instead of the Sportster.

Me and the missus ride my 883r 2 up a lot,ive just had a pair of hagons made up to carry 30 stone and a sissy bar on the back,i think its all relative to how much hammer you can take before not enjoying the ride.Me personally can ride all day and most of the night,with the odd coffee break to snap my joints back into place.I have an old Japanese muscle bike as well if I want to get somewhere fast,otherwise its the sportster everytime,best advice is try it and see how it goes.

I'm 6' and about 280. My wife is about 5' 8" and, well, let's just say she's appropriately sized to match me.

I don't know how you managed. I am 5' 10" and weigh 180 and my wife is 5' 5" and weighs 140 and I don't have enough room on my XLH 1200 to be able to use the back support on my new Mustang seat. Sometimes I feel like I am riding on the gas tank. :(

Dude,

2-up coast to coast on a Sporty? I don't care what kind of seat you got, you definitely get the "Iron Booty" award. (in leiu of the word I wanted to use!! :D)

Ha, ha! My wife takes the prize though. She had to sit on a pillion half the width of my Corbin solo. But I had to put her on a plane home in San Fran. Not because she couldn't take it, but because she had to be back at work.

I figured if we survived that ride together, our marriage would be alright. Must have worked. That was 12 years ago!

Back