free website stats program Who carries Extra gas container on their ride. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Who carries Extra gas container on their ride.

on the chopper i used to carry extra fuel simply because although the tank looked cool it gave me a range of about 10 feet hehe now with the glide no need to ..

When going on long trips, I carry 1 or 2 of these quart bottles. I was always told not to run dry a fuel injected motor. I've only used them once, It wasn't for me, someone else ran dry.
MSR Fuel Bottle reviews and information - Trailspace.com

those are the one's I was talking about. they're meant for Coleman fuel. They're metal and air tight. You guys whining about having some extra fuel when your on the road because your afraid you might "blow up":devil might be a little too paranoid to even be riding on a motorcycle.......Maybe you'll fall down.:shock:help I've never run out of gas, but I've come real close, so I carry an extra quart. I've never been in a gun fight, but I've come real close so I carry..........well you get the picture. Nothin' wrong with being prepared.

My thoughts as well....my rule of thumb has always been that when I reach the 1/2 way mark I'm "outta gas", and start looking for a fill-up. That way even if I'm miles from a station I'm in no danger of running dry when I start looking. I might have chanced it years ago, but these days I just play it safe. There's enough to worry about in life without pushing an Ultra Glide to a gas station on a deserted road. I'm still in pretty decent shape but I honestly don't know how far down the road I could push that bad boy before having a heart attack! :D

My option,call A.A.A.:D

those are the one's I was talking about. they're meant for Coleman fuel. They're metal and air tight. You guys whining about having some extra fuel when your on the road because your afraid you might "blow up":devil might be a little too paranoid to even be riding on a motorcycle.......Maybe you'll fall down.:shock:help I've never run out of gas, but I've come real close, so I carry an extra quart. I've never been in a gun fight, but I've come real close so I carry..........well you get the picture. Nothin' wrong with being prepared.

Everyone has a different take on risk and preparation...riding a motorcycle already is an acceptance of risk. Running out of gas is NOT a risk, it is a preventable accident waiting to happen. You SHOULD not carry or require a quart (get you 5-10 miles) or a gallon, an extra 30-40 miles...so what is so clever about preparing for failure only to run out in that length of time? It puts you at risk, a preventable one: By pushing your "reserve" you could run out of gas when you need to accelerate out of an intersection or hazardous situation. Remember the 1st rule in the movie Top Gun..." -- never push a bad position..." ...it sets you up for failure...especially if you do it more than once. Not very smart having to push a bike on a busy freeway by trying to stretch your reserve. If you must, use a fuel cell/tank that is made for that purpose and think about the risks if not properly mounted or worse if it ruptures...carry a $5 Blitz can bungied to your bike even if you survive is not necessary a good thing (your survival yes, carry it...a BIG NO)! JMO :small3d023:

Everyone has a different take on risk and preparation...riding a motorcycle already is an acceptance of risk. Running out of gas is NOT a risk, it is a preventable accident waiting to happen. You SHOULD not carry or require a quart (get you 5-10 miles) or a gallon, an extra 30-40 miles...so what is so clever about preparing for failure only to run out in that length of time? It puts you at risk, a preventable one: By pushing your "reserve" you could run out of gas when you need to accelerate out of an intersection or hazardous situation. Remember the 1st rule in the movie Top Gun..." -- never push a bad position..." ...it sets you up for failure...especially if you do it more than once. Not very smart having to push a bike on a busy freeway by trying to stretch your reserve. :small3d023:

No offence intended,but sometimes I think that you overthink things! I can not remember the last time I got on a motorcycle and thought about risk versus rewards! I ride just about how I feel at the time ,not worrying about what misadventure is going to bestowe upon me .

I thought it sounded like a good idea but i finding the room for it weight wise as well as volume seemed too restrictive. If your inclined to tho remember to cancell the static elec before pouring, set the contianer on the ground. Then touch something metal on the bike. Just a precaution. The other trouble with gas cans is the expansion factor. It generaly comes out ofthe ground around 55 degrees, with high vapor pressure a rise in temp causes high expansion which cannot be captured if alowed to vent, possibly contaminating other luggage.

Lets get down to basics here. If you are travelling two up with your wife you haven't got room on the bike for an extra gas can anyway!:p

I'm all for those who want their cake and eat it too. The fuel cell thread actually had several nice looking tanks, even one that fit under the luggage rack area of a road king/tourer that looked integrated to the bike.

If you REALLY need the extra fuel capacity, at least get a tank that is rugged and fitted properly, by people who know the business. Never want to take a chance on cracked mounts or broken seams when hauling flammable liquids on vibrating, hard ridden bike far from civilization. Figure the Iron Butt and Paris to Dakar adventure riders can do the road testing...thank you very much. JMO

Back