free website stats program Who carries Extra gas container on their ride. | Harley Davidson Forums

Who carries Extra gas container on their ride.

dangerdan

Any arguements against carrying an extra gallon of gas in my hardbag on a long trip. I thought about one of those red plastic 1 gallon containers. They seem sturdy enough.

I would never carry a Jerrycan inside a hardbag,if you feel you have to carry extra fuel bungie it onto the bike.I have travelled a lot in remote areas and I find that if you know you are going someplace you are unsure of it doesn't hurt to start looking for fuel at 1/2 tank

I can't get behind carrying extra gas. i know there are some distance riders that carry several extra gallons in an aux tank. Guess it depends on what you want to do.

Somehow the idea of carrying a container with explosive liquid sloshing around with fumes high up on a bike just seems wrong. I would never do it...think about static electricity generation, an insulated plastic container in a fiberglass / plastic abs insulated shell...sounds like the makings of a bomb to me!

BTW my TomTom can be set to alert if there is a gas station nearby, so I just would not take the chance. There are plenty of laws on the books about transporting flammable liquids like gas and propane in special certified metal tanks, think boating here, they do not certify plastic tanks last time I checked (in the early 80's anyway). A couple dollar plastic container with electronically welded seams with a handle just does not sound good to me. I know the endurance Paris to Dakar Adventure Type riders carry metal ones, BUT...

Last edited:
If you follow the Iron Butt you will see many ideas on how to carry extra gasoline. These are usually built as gas tanks and run inline with the main tank. I put an extra gallon tank on the sissy bar of my 1975 FXE and ran a hose to the line coming out of the main tank. I ran the extra gallon first and then turned on the main petcock. I toured a good bit of Europe with that setup. The tank was drawn steel and heavily welded in the middle with a regular gas cap opening. I also carried exta gasoline in the early '70's during the so called gas shortage. I put extra gas in my BMW's saddlebags but they were in metal containers designed to carry gasoline. I was glad to stop using them. Today, no way would I carry extra gasoling. Fossil

I have a cell phone and insurance to cover any problems such as being out of gas. These days, it just takes a bit of planning if you know that your going some distance between gas stations. I also carry a clear 1/2 inch x 4' tube for siphoning to or from my gas tank. Used it a couple of times through the years.:D
Ugly John

If I'm riding where I'm sure sure of the distance between gas stops I carry a little container of gas just in case. I don't use a gas can. I use a little bottle made for carrying Coleman fuel when your hiking. I think they come in different sizes, but the one I have holds about a quart I think. And it doesn't take up much room in the saddle bag. A quart should be enough to get you to a gas station if your pushing the limit and not being foolish..

These containers have a CSA label on them. They are designed for gas storage in a garage which can get extremely hot in the summer. Its the same type of plastix gas container used in a small boat.

If you guys think this is crazy, then I will have to look for alternatives .

I think FOSSIL mentioned the IRON BUTT. I'll have to see how they do this.

The comments on storing gas in an enclosed area are well taken. Don't know if a saddlebag would be the best place. I'm far from and Iron Butt rider, but I always plan my rides around the availability of fuel and rest stops. My Ultra will do well over 200 miles before needing fuel, and truth be told, I don't know if I could ride that far without a stop..

Back