free website stats program White light | Harley Davidson Forums

White light

English Mike

Has anyone any experience of changing the headlamp bulb HD part for one of the 'zenon' white light bulbs? I ask as I wonder if they are easier to see in the daylight, it never ceases to amaze me that cars etc claim they never saw you (even though I drive during the day on main beam) I know I shouldn't but I want to make sure I am seen. I clocked a sports bike the other day running zenon or similar and he sure stood out.

Just wondered if anyone has tried them or has feelings regarding the visibility of said beams from a car driver point of view?

Thanks

Mike

I haven't done that Mike, but have been considering it.

Anything that makes you stand out from the background and be seen is a very good thing, IMO.

I've also been thinking about maybe doing a "modulated" headlight. I may not have that right, but you know what I mean, right? Where the headlight dims alittle and then brightens again to full strength. I've seen a couple bikes with that and they stood out to me. I don't know where to get one though.

I have been looking at these bulbs but if they are so good and cost that little why doesn't every bike and car have them?
The real Xenon requires a ballast, different fitting and a different mirror and glass. On an Electra that will set us in the UK back about 500 Pounds or $750,-
Not worth it I decided. Call me selfish but I ride with my auxillary lights and normal headlights all the time.

I have been looking at these bulbs but if they are so good and cost that little why doesn't every bike and car have them?
The real Xenon requires a ballast, different fitting and a different mirror and glass. On an Electra that will set us in the UK back about 500 Pounds or $750,-
Not worth it I decided. Call me selfish but I ride with my auxillary lights and normal headlights all the time.

Harry

I did not realise a true Zenon was that sort of cash!:34: So what are the commercially available bulbs like in comparison and have you any idea what makes the Zenon so special to cost that amount of money? I know, lots of questions, sorry.

Mike

Harry

I did not realise a true Zenon was that sort of cash!:34: So what are the commercially available bulbs like in comparison and have you any idea what makes the Zenon so special to cost that amount of money? I know, lots of questions, sorry.

Mike

Hi Mike
The true zenon has a colour "warmth" of 6000K which is about the whitest you can achieve with a lightbulb and not having to tow a generator behind you. I do also believe there is a legal limit to the "watts" you bulb is allowed to be.
You might want to check hids4u.co.uk for a slightly cheaper conversion kit which doesn't need a new reflector (but still not a bagain):45: .
Otherwise there are also H4 bulbs that try to imitate the true Xenons 6000K colour. These cost only a little more than a standart bulb but the reason why is pretty clear.

Harry

Got the Zenon filled from local HD dealer, fitted last night, (TV was rubbish) and an astounding difference. I think the passing lights may be H3's, anyone have a scooby if that is right? It would be nice to have all three the same tone.

Mike

Back