free website stats program White flakes in gas tank | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

White flakes in gas tank

Just getting ready to do the Kreem treatment on my wifes tank, 27 years old and what a mess. ( the tank, not the wife) Done a triumph tank and cb750k awhile ago, the triumph was still a-1 after 5 years and the honda after 3. Gotta do all 3 stages and follow instrucions.

The idea of shaking small metal items to break the old lining loose looks like a good first step. I have several pounds of old roofing nails and a box of BB's I'll probably never use for anything else. I didn't see any rust so maybe its not that far along. I'll have to think about a new tank and fenders or paint the old ones at some point too.

Thanks for all the helpful advice - Bob

I have had good luck with Red-Kote. I used it three years ago on my 82 Ironhead Sportster (show bike) and all is well with it. Here is the website that gives directions. http://www.damonq.com/Techsheets/Red-Kote.pdf

Must be very carefull not to damage paint on outside of tank. It can be done. No shop would do it because they wouldn't take responsiblity for my custom paint.

Not much to add except good luck with the shake, rattle and role, I hope it works for ya and saves some money.

I read the article on Red Kote and it sounds like a good option. So now I have another project for the summer. I think I'll get some riding in first through. Its been a long winter. There is a special appeal to keeping a older bike on the road - Bob

Or retrofiting a new tank if you are so inclined....through cleaning and relining is the way to go...time consuming, but if done right, never have to worry about it again.

I might be a little late with a reply as the white flakes may have disappeared by now. Anyhow, next time it snows, don't leave the gas cap off.:D

Hope you got the problem cured.

Back