free website stats program Whistling Roadking | Harley Davidson Forums

Whistling Roadking

RockinRich

I just installed visor rings on all of my front lights and now my RK whistles more than the seven dwarfs! I know its one of the rings. Instead of pulling them one at a time I thought maybe someone already delt with this.
photo+%282%29.JPG

I installed a ring on my RK Custom. It has a headlight only, no driving lamps. I experienced the same whistling. I'm thinking of trying a find deflector under the forks come spring.when

I'd think the whistle would be coming at the back of the visor. Try taping over the juncture between visor and light. Then as you ride, you can remove tape from each light until it starts to whistle. When you find the culprit, a dab of silicon or plumbers putty or something (on the inner side) should stop it.

"Whistles more than the 7 Dwarfs" :lolrolling

Good idea! I will try that. I am thinking its the headlight because the other 4 lights came with seals. Let you know what I find out.

I'd think the whistle would be coming at the back of the visor. Try taping over the juncture between visor and light. Then as you ride, you can remove tape from each light until it starts to whistle. When you find the culprit, a dab of silicon or plumbers putty or something (on the inner side) should stop it.

"Whistles more than the 7 Dwarfs" :lolrolling

I have those same Trim Rings on my Deluxe,although mine didn't come with the optional whistle.

Why don't you try changing the 'angle of attack' of the lights.Maybe moving them a quarter of an inch or so at a time.The wind flow is the culprit and a small change could be enough to upset the harmonics.

I had a whistling visor on my half-helmet. A bit of self-adhesive weather stripping (foam) in the open space between visor and helmet did the trick.

The whistling is likely due to air that has been slowed down by passing through one path, mixing with air that has not been slowed down, due to taking another path. The mixing results in an audible tone.

Use the weather stripping (from an auto-parts store) to block the air in the slower path, and you should be good to go. I suggest lining the inside surface of the trim rings, with a very thin foam.

Good luck,
Rich P

Back