free website stats program Whirling noise and what type cam. | Harley Davidson Forums

Whirling noise and what type cam.

bbarbee

I have a 1997 80"evo. Just have valves done 6 months ago and bored 10 over 1 and a half ago. Last week I started hearing a whirling noise. Increases and decreases with engine. Stumped!!
I'm planning on tearing it down this winter anyway but still wanted to know.

Also what type or size cam should I install. Just want a good sound. So many out there.
Thanks!

I have a 1997 80"evo. Just have valves done 6 months ago and bored 10 over 1 and a half ago. Last week I started hearing a whirling noise. Increases and decreases with engine. Stumped!!

Also what type or size cam should I install. Just want a good sound. So many out there.
Thanks!

Selecting a performance camshaft :s

I haven't a clue as to your noise,but it doesn't sound good. As for a cam I used the Andrews EV-27, bumped the compression to 9.5:1 and had my heads flowed. The power and smoothness was great. Ride all day 2 up and rarely have to downshift. Good luck with your project.

Thanks!

Can you isolate the noise? This would be a big plus when you do your tear down, take digital pics as you go through the tear down use it as a reference and good luck I would pay close attention to the breather gear and wear and tear in the cam chest replace the cam bearings too:s

Found something interesting. Last thing I replaced was the stator so I went back in to check to make sure a bolt that holds the stator hadn't backed out. As I have heard check the last thing you did first.
Well after pulling the plug out of the primary....almost 6 quarts of oil came pouring out. Seems that the seal behind the rotor had worked out. I had been checking the oil and kept wondering if I had added enough oil the last time. Now I know where it went. I'm hoping this is where the whole problem has stemmed from.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Found something interesting. Last thing I replaced was the stator so I went back in to check to make sure a bolt that holds the stator hadn't backed out. As I have heard check the last thing you did first.
Well after pulling the plug out of the primary....almost 6 quarts of oil came pouring out. Seems that the seal behind the rotor had worked out. I had been checking the oil and kept wondering if I had added enough oil the last time. Now I know where it went. I'm hoping this is where the whole problem has stemmed from.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Too much oil in there would probably sound like a washing machine, sounds like you solved the problem:s

Back