Whirling noise and what type cam.

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by bbarbee, Oct 2, 2011.

1. bbarbee

bbarbee Member

I have a 1997 80"evo. Just have valves done 6 months ago and bored 10 over 1 and a half ago. Last week I started hearing a whirling noise. Increases and decreases with engine. Stumped!!
    I'm planning on tearing it down this winter anyway but still wanted to know.

Also what type or size cam should I install. Just want a good sound. So many out there.
    Thanks!

2. speedyron

speedyron Active Member

doesnt sound good. if you just want change sound get diff pipes and not mess with the stock

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Selecting a performance camshaft :s

4. bbarbee

bbarbee Member

5. the draggin

the draggin Active Member

I haven't a clue as to your noise,but it doesn't sound good. As for a cam I used the Andrews EV-27, bumped the compression to 9.5:1 and had my heads flowed. The power and smoothness was great. Ride all day 2 up and rarely have to downshift. Good luck with your project.

6. Jack Klarich

Can you isolate the noise? This would be a big plus when you do your tear down, take digital pics as you go through the tear down use it as a reference and good luck I would pay close attention to the breather gear and wear and tear in the cam chest replace the cam bearings too:s

7. bbarbee

bbarbee Member

Found something interesting. Last thing I replaced was the stator so I went back in to check to make sure a bolt that holds the stator hadn't backed out. As I have heard check the last thing you did first.
    Well after pulling the plug out of the primary....almost 6 quarts of oil came pouring out. Seems that the seal behind the rotor had worked out. I had been checking the oil and kept wondering if I had added enough oil the last time. Now I know where it went. I'm hoping this is where the whole problem has stemmed from.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!

8. Jack Klarich

Too much oil in there would probably sound like a washing machine, sounds like you solved the problem:s

9. bbarbee

bbarbee Member

Hope....We'll see in a couple days! Stay tuned!

10. bbarbee

bbarbee Member

Engine is toast! Main bearings let go. Pistons shot....This is gonna cost!!