free website stats program whinning belt drive | Harley Davidson Forums

whinning belt drive

Del Boy

After only 6000 miles from new I was told the belt and pulleys on my sportster were badly worn and needed replacing. Since this was done I have a whinning noise that appears between 40_50 mph. If I accelerate it disappears and also drop below 40. It has been rechecked by dealer and told it was somthing that happens with some belts. The only time it disappeared was when the dealer sprayed the belt with sillicon but came back after about a week. Is the belt too tight? The noise appears after riding for a short while so only starts once something wams up. Any tips on how to rid or something to put on belt.

In my opinion the belt and pulley should not have been worn to the point of replacement with only 6000 miles, something is wrong with the bike or your dealer. If it's making noise I do believe that's a sign the belt is to tight.

Belt at 6000 miles sounds fishy to Me.Did They show You the old belt?Was it replaced under warranty?Is this a Harley-Davidson dealer or an independent?

Belt a wee bit tight will make some noise often a squeak squeak squeak as you ride
Once you start riding the pulleys will heat up and expand a wee bit this will tighten the belt
Personally I keep the belt on my bikes a wee bit on the loose side with no adverse effects so far
I have tried setting the belts with the correct Harley tool as directed in the service manual and get a squeak now I do it by feel as I mould set the tension on a chain

Brian

Sound like your belt was too tight. Did you fix them yourself or dealer did that? If dealer did that then I would talk with service manager.

Noisey belt too tight have them check the action of the swing arm also and adjust the belt with a rider on it

The dealer replaced the belt and pulleys. Being new to Harleys (an old Brit rider)and knowing not much about modern bikes i took the HD dealer at their word. .the bike was owned for 18 months at the time so was out of warranty. Looking at the warranty it virtually covers nothing anyway. Will try slightly slackening off belt.

Do you ONLY ride on clean paved roads?

IF not, and ride dirt, I would expect the problem.:(

Putting on a new tire once out of town HD dealer on my 09 King: the mechanic said You have Damage to your belt... Looking, a little rock had gotten wedged in the rear sprocket and did SKUFF the belt.... No I said It will be fine... that was 80,000 miles ago.....Same Belt at 91,500..... Buyer Be Ware

signed....BUBBIE

Do you ONLY ride on clean paved roads?

IF not, and ride dirt, I would expect the problem.:(

Putting on a new tire once out of town HD dealer on my 09 King: the mechanic said You have Damage to your belt... Looking, a little rock had gotten wedged in the rear sprocket and did SKUFF the belt.... No I said It will be fine... that was 80,000 miles ago.....Same Belt at 91,500..... Buyer Be Ware

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie this is a on going discussion about dealers. If customer has not a clue the dealer will most definitely take advantage if they have a chance. Especially on items that could keep bike from running properly.

Bubbie this is a on going discussion about dealers. If customer has not a clue the dealer will most definitely take advantage if they have a chance. Especially on items that could keep bike from running properly.

Thus my post, something wrong with the dealer. With only 6000 miles something tells me a major issue with the bike (unlikely) or the dealership is not to to be trusted.:nosad

Back