free website stats program Whining sound from the lower rear | Harley Davidson Forums

Whining sound from the lower rear

Hughey79

Hello. I know I am the new guy and although I can not wait to assist others on here. I do have a problem that I hope can get resolved from your help.
On the first ride and the few since in the last week since pulling it out from winter hibernation it has had an odd whining sound. The sound is only apparent when rolling with the clutch pulled in coming to a stop at 30 mph and under. It sounds like a whirring noise.
I have asked the dealer, they stated that they thought it would go away after a few miles. However it has not. They wanted me to wait and not pay the $78 bucks for labor to get it looked at if nothing is wrong.
One explaination they had was the rear bearing may have rusted a little and it would work itself out. So far it has not.
The bike sat and was not moved or started at all for the last 4 months. I had the 5000 miles service done last fall. The only thing I have done this year was add Progressive 412 11 inch shocks to lower it as I am short. I can not see where the belt is rubbing anywhere but that is close to the sound it is making.
Ok so that was a long read, any ideas or solutions would be outstanding as this is stressful.
Thank you.

Thank you Hobbit. No one has mentioned that the belt may have dried out. What should I look for? If it has, what should be done?
I dont feel like the brakes are dragging as it doesnt stop when they are applied and there is no drag on the bike. It rolls like normal.

Hello. I know I am the new guy and although I can not wait to assist others on here. I do have a problem that I hope can get resolved from your help.
On the first ride and the few since in the last week since pulling it out from winter hibernation it has had an odd whining sound. The sound is only apparent when rolling with the clutch pulled in coming to a stop at 30 mph and under. It sounds like a whirring noise.
I have asked the dealer, they stated that they thought it would go away after a few miles. However it has not. They wanted me to wait and not pay the $78 bucks for labor to get it looked at if nothing is wrong.
One explaination they had was the rear bearing may have rusted a little and it would work itself out. So far it has not.
The bike sat and was not moved or started at all for the last 4 months. I had the 5000 miles service done last fall. The only thing I have done this year was add Progressive 412 11 inch shocks to lower it as I am short. I can not see where the belt is rubbing anywhere but that is close to the sound it is making.
Ok so that was a long read, any ideas or solutions would be outstanding as this is stressful.
Thank you.

If a bearing rusted during storage, you have a very serious problem and the dealer sounds like a winner telling you that without removing the wheel to check it out as it could seize up.

You may find the belt tension to be off causing this problem or a bit of silicone on the belt may quiet it down and you know where the problem is then.

If I put silocon spray on the belt. What would be the best method for that? Just put it on the inside of the belt or? Would the belt slip if I do this? I checked the tension and it feels within spec.
I am worried about the bearing but hope that it isnt and its a simpler fix.
Great help so far. I will get it out tomorrow when I get up and get crackn on these suggestions so far. Thanks.

You just spray it on the toothed side of the belt. No need to over do it either, just a few bursts and it will distribute it on the pulley. No problems with belt slipping either. It should tell the story if this is the problem.

Well I went out a few minutes ago and looked and looked and didnt see anything that appeared to be belt related or gaurd problems. However I looked up into the rear fender and found that the left turn signal wire had come out of a bracket and had been the culprit rubbing against the rear tire. It was chewed all the way through to the point of having the wire exposed and some strands broken. Temporarily I have put some electrical tape on it and put it back in the clamp. There seems to be some excess wire on this side. I am not sure what to do exaclty but there was the issue.

Try to see if it looks like the factory wiring or if it has been spliced like in a change of lights. You can just section the bad spot and replace it, make sure to use some heat shrink to seal the joints. Probably best to solder the joints too.

Scratch that. The noise is still there. I took it out for a ride and it is still the same. After a few miles it lessens but when I stop for awhile it is back.
I checked and the wire is still out of the way so that is ruled out for sure. (atleast I found that out sooner than later)
It has to be something else. Its like when the bike is ridden and warmed up its better. Maybe I will try the oil thing on the inside of the belt a little bit. Someone hopefully has some answers for me. Please I am a paranoid freak about my vehicles and can not stand them not being close to perfect as possible.
Thanks.

You sound a lot like me:D

Don't use OIL on the belt, only silicone. By virtue of what you say that it changes when it is warm and comes back when it is cooled down, I would re check the belt tension again.

Back