free website stats program Whining noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Whining noise

Dferr

While riding home from work today, I noticed a pretty loud whining noise I believe is coming from the trans. I recently changed all the fluids over to Amsoil. I'm using 75w-90 Severe Gear in the trans, I just don't remember if it had a whining noise like that before. I only really notice it when I back off the gas. The bike is a 2006 Street Glide. Do these bikes tend to have a whiny trans or should I go back to the Harley fluid?

Thanks, Don

While riding home from work today, I noticed a pretty loud whining noise I believe is coming from the trans. I recently changed all the fluids over to Amsoil. I'm using 75w-90 Severe Gear in the trans, I just don't remember if it had a whining noise like that before. I only really notice it when I back off the gas. The bike is a 2006 Street Glide. Do these bikes tend to have a whiny trans or should I go back to the Harley fluid?

Thanks, Don

Don,

MY selection for quieting down a tyranny is using ""Redline Shockproof Heavy""..

IF it is noisy after that it is Just noisy..

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

Hmmm I have always noticed just a slight whine when I let off the gas (even before I put in 90 Severe Gear in the trans) course I don't know what was in the bike when I bought it. Previous owner just told me he used full synthetic.

It's not a real noticable thing though, I just figured they all did it. I kinda thought it was coming from the primary chain.

You could try Redline next time. I'm gonna try it just to see if it quiets down the 1st to 2nd clunk anymore than severe gear did.

Thanks, Don

Didn't realize how noisy my transmission was until after I put in the redline oil. It was almost unsettling how quiet it became.
WAP.gif

Didn't realize how noisy my transmission was until after I put in the redline oil. It was almost unsettling how quiet it became.

Hmmm glad to hear that, I'm gonna try it next time. Guess it's that thick gel texture that does it. I remember as teenagers folks would put sawdust in the differential to quiet it down when it got worn to noisy clearances. Worked too.

Yeah, the stuff I drained out was red in color and really thick! I guess that's the redline. The wine down actually sounds pretty cool, like a drag car letting off at the end. But I don't know if that's a good thing. I've always used Amsoil I pretty sure it's not hurting anything I hope.

If I hear whinning while I am out riding I simply pull over and ask her to get off until she is in a better mood :newsmile045:

Yeah, the stuff I drained out was red in color and really thick! I guess that's the redline. The wine down actually sounds pretty cool, like a drag car letting off at the end. But I don't know if that's a good thing. I've always used Amsoil I pretty sure it's not hurting anything I hope.

The RED color Might be spectro gl5

Redline Shockproof Heavy is Pink and thick.... and IT is strong in ODOR

signed....BUBBIE

Back