free website stats program whining gas tank | Harley Davidson Forums

whining gas tank

Mavagrand

Just got back from church, rode my scoot. I noticed as I pulled into the parking lot my gas tank was whining, sounded like the noise the fuel pump makes when you first turn on the ignition. Im sure this is what I heard as I sat and let it idle listening to it. It was effected by the throttle and remained constant. After the service, she fired right up, rode home and nothing happened. This is the second time I noticed this noise though. I have an 08 EGC and had the fuel shell recall done over a year ago but this sounds like a fuel pump issue. The only thing I have done recently was install a set of SE pipes. The gas tank is full. Any ideas/suggestions?? My warranty expires the end of November so I don't wanna ignore this.

I notice sometimes mine seems louder than other times hard to say why .. other than difference in fuel level

Is this noise a whine, or more of a hissing noise? If it's a hissing sound it very well could be the fuel line inside the tank that goes from the fuel pump to the quick disconnect on the tank (which goes to the injectors). These tend to rub on the metal inside the tank and get tiny holes in them which allows the pressurized fuel to squirt out, thus the hissing noise.
At some point the bike will begin to 'sneeze' out the air cleaner. (at least mine did) especially at lower fuel levels.
On my bike, this happened on the first day of a 3 day trip. By the end of the 3rd day I could barely get the bike over 50mph to get home.

sounds the same as when the tank pressurizes at startup. Ihave noticed a slight gas smell on the bike lately and have had my tank off a couple of times with no probs.

Last time I removed the tank I did lift up on tank, forgetting to unplug the quick connect underneath. Im sure it put a little stress on the fuel line. Is the connection you refer to on the other end of the fuel line from the quick connect under the tank? IF so, it is possible I may have broken it.

That's the one I'm talking about. If you lift the tank too much you can crack it and it will seep gas. The opposite end from the quick disconnect down under the tank and over the motor.

Thanx Glider. I'll get out the service manual and see what I can do to fix it. Not right to have it covered under warranty since I did it. Once again, I owe you.

Don't forget to check for Service Bulletins...I seem to recall that there were some fuel pumps that were breaking at the fittings and MOCO was replacing them under a NHTSA recall...best to check to be sure!

Back