free website stats program Whining EVO | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Whining EVO

Had a whine as you describe on my 96 evo.Turned out to be the cam bearing going bad.Glad in my case everything was in tact.From what you describe,it sounds exactly like a cam bearing going bad.

Hey Fossil - sounds similar to what my 88 FLHTC has. It developed what's best described as a sewing machine sound almost over night. My dealer suggested HD's remanufacturing - not really a bad suggestion considering labor costs, but questionable with a bike this old. I've done nothing with it so far - I'm not a mechanic so my options are limited. If you do discover what's eating at your ride, let us know. Good luck to you.

I finally got my EVO torn down and so far I haven't found any thing out right bad. The rollers on the hydraulics lifters seem to be smooth and no remarkable wear pattern. The shafts on the rockers are smooth with no evidence of unusual wear. The cam bearing feels like all the rollers are moving and a little loose. No unusual wear on the cam except the bearing end has the most wear pattern but I cannot feel it with my finger nail. The breather gear is plastic and in good shape. The only thing unusual to me is the oil pump gear that is helical in the cam case seems a little loose. So far that is all I have found.

Back