free website stats program Whining EVO | Harley Davidson Forums

Whining EVO

Fossil

Okay guys you have been a great help in the past. My 1988 Electra Glide Sport has a whine in the engine. I opened up the clutch case and made sure every thing was adjusted okay and closed it back up with new Foumula. I asked a mechanic at the local dealer what he thought and he said it sounds like some thing in the cam case. The whine is noisy and isn't affected by the running gear or clutch. So when I open the cam case what do you think I should look for? I am 100% disabled Vet and live on a fixed income so just replacing every thing to see if it cures isn't the best idea for me.

Check all the gears look for any debris and pay close attention to the breather gear and scoring inside the cam chest

Fossil; I can't remember if this is a recent purchase for you? If you don't know the history, check the color code on the cam and pinion gears. If they don't match, (or aren't there) have them measured. A too tight condition will whine, kinda like a blower on a car motor. It sometimes happens when a cam is changed and the gears are not matched.

I bought it mew and it was a FLTC until a couple of years ago when I changed it to a FLHS. The cam was changed about 40K ago and it has been running great. I picked up this loud whine almost over night. It is only affected by the rpm of the engine.

Someone recently posted in the chain cam tensioners reponses said they got a whining sound from their cam tensioners being bad.

Just a thought......... My whine came from a lifter roller, would have been a disaster if it had come apart, ya know.
TD

I kind of wonder if it could be a lifter roller also. They have about 60K on them and at that mileage any thing can happen.

Back