whiney Trans

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by chuck60, Jun 8, 2014.

1. chuck60

chuck60 Active Member

Why do the newer bikes have transmissions that whine so much ? It's only in low gear. I don't remember my older road king doing that.

2. Nikko684

Nikko684 Active Member

I guess they are a lot like these new age teenagers...... just sayin....:D

3. Biffy08

Biffy08 Active Member

I noticed this with my new tourer. I thought it would only be with them.

I wondered if all of the new bikes are doing this and if so why and what does it mean?

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

5. hillbilly81

hillbilly81 Active Member

My 6 speed 09 FXDC did not whine near as much as my 14 Road King with 4000 miles and I am running gear oil in the tranny just like in my 09 no big deal I guess. But the best tech in the HD shop told me to bring it in if it got louder.

6. chuck60

chuck60 Active Member

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

straight cut gears are a bit more noisy than helical gears, my 07 Bob is a whiner in 1st gear also

8. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I have had good luck with their Results; ADVISING members and friends to use Redline ShockProof Heavy to MOSTLY eliminate NOISE and smooth things out all tranny's...

Big Twins Tranny's NOT sportsters....

signed....BUBBIE

9. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I knew it would only be a short period of time before Bubbie showed up with his Redline suggestion. Cant argue with him either! :s

10. Batman03

Batman03 Member

Try Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6 speed, 75-140wt. I immediately noticed a difference when I switched. It also helps finding neutral when your ride is cold. It may be tough to find locally but you can order it via Amazon. I have never seen it at an H-D dealership because they want to push their brand, but, I have seen Redline Shock Proof on their shelves which would be my second choice. I think you'll be surprised with either, and, it should quiet things down a bit. My second choice would be Redline.