free website stats program Whine in all gears | Harley Davidson Forums

Whine in all gears

Oscar

08 RK, 28,000 miles. In the last week, I've noticed a distinct whine in all gears when the clutch is disengaged that is dependent on wheel speed. When pulling up to a red light, clutch in, I hear a whining that seems to be coming from the primary which gets lower and less distinct as I slow down. I changed all 3 fluids at 26,000, filled the primary with Formula +.

I found that the gasket between the cover and primary was leaking, so replaced it. I was 8 ounces low, replaced the fluid. 300 miles later, the noise is considerably quieter.

I'm assuming the noise was from the low fluid, I just wanna know if I may have worn something from the lack of lubrication for about 300 miles.

Thanks...

Have you checked the rear belt tension?

Just stepped outside and did so, no issue.

As I said, the whine almost entirely went away when I filled the primary back to the correct level, just curious if I may have done some damage by running with it low.

300 miles later, the noise is considerably quieter.

Thanks...

After you got your Primary fluid up to the correct level, it took an additional 300 miles of riding for the noise to get considerably quieter?

I don't have a ton of experience on HD's but I would say as long as the oil level was high enough for the primary chain to dip and fling oil, you have nothing to worry about. Being 8oz short based on a 35oz fill up would not be "dangerously" low to me. The ring gear on the clutch basket will still be flinging oil like crazy.
I would not sweat it.
Others may chime in but I think your good to go.

I would not sweat it.

I agree with Hoople. I doubt that you have done anything to worry about. But you might change the fluid in the primary the next time you do engine oil to see how much "fuzz" is on the plug magnet.

That bike should have an auto chain tensioner, so you should not have to worry about that. If it has gotten quiet, just ride on!

TQ

Not to beat a dead horse here because you said you checked rear belt tension and determined it was ok. You said the whinning noise was rear wheel dependent. Did you mean that if you pulled the clutch in at 40 mph you could hear the noise? And as you slowed down to stop at a light the noise got weaker?

About 100, it's been quiet since.

I don't have a ton of experience on HD's but I would say as long as the oil level was high enough for the primary chain to dip and fling oil, you have nothing to worry about. Being 8oz short based on a 35oz fill up would not be "dangerously" low to me. The ring gear on the clutch basket will still be flinging oil like crazy.
I would not sweat it.

Hoop has you covered, the low fluid level likely caused the whine, as that sound is first indication of low fluid, before hearing the infamous grinding sound of metal to metal contact. You likely caught it in time so don't sweat it. :D

Back