free website stats program Whine: anywhere else to look? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Whine: anywhere else to look?

i have an 07 electra glide and it whines in 5th gear the dealer said it was a problem with the first 6 speeds which were in 07 i switched to syn but it still whines just turn the tunes up a little

the dealer said it was a problem with the first 6 speeds which were in 07

Your dealership should not be calling it a "problem" because it is not a problem. Both fifth and first gear in the transmission are spur cut teeth. They will whine by nature. The guy you spoke to is just repeating something he heard and never looked at a service or parts manual..

It's probably the tires or a remote chance it is the belt tension being too tight. I have both on my bike. New tires took away a ton of strange noises,, especially on curves.

You did say it didn't seem to change with speed but I still suggest checking your tires for cupping as this will do what you desribe. cupping can sometimes be hard to spot right off so look carefully. There's info on it in self help also.

Does the noise change if you pull the clutch in, wondering if the clutch is making noise?

typical wear on front and rear are way different, so waiting just to change both at same time is not nessisary. (jmo).................bw

typical wear on front and rear are way different, so waiting just to change both at same time is not nessisary. (jmo).................bw

I know they wear differently but the rear is getting low as well, but not quite there yet and if I was going to take it in for the front tire, I wanted to have it all done at once.

Well I checked the tire last night. There is definitley cupping on the tire. It is hard for me to see, but it is easier to feel with my hand. I am going to take it in and have it replaced.

Jack: it stil make the noise when I pull the clutch in and yesterday on my way home I "coasted" through a corner off the ramp and I could really hear the sound lound and clear and heard it change with speed and lean angle, so I am pretty sure it is the cupping on the tire.

As for the mileage on thr front tire, I really think I must have got a hard compound by dumb luck or manufacturing variabilility, but I will know for sure when I test the new one. Again, my rear seems to wear at the "normal" rate.
Most of my miles are commuting to work (100 miles/day) so it is a very stable "test environment" for seeing how the ultra is running/wearing etc. Plus, I think my riding style is such that I am pretty easy on the machine. That added to highway miles probably helps with the longevity a bit. As I have stated here before, I have 138K on my car (that I used to commute on) and it still has the original brakes. Never really use them much on my commute, again all highway and no real traffic.

Again, thanks for all the advice and thoughts. I find I get very attached the "normal" sounds that come from my ultra and when something goes different I start to worry. I will report back when I get the tire changed. I may try and just take the front tire off and take it to the dealer for faster service, plus I have never taken the front tire off and it may be a good time to clean the calipers and such.:D

i have an 07 electra glide and it whines in 5th gear the dealer said it was a problem with the first 6 speeds which were in 07 i switched to syn but it still whines just turn the tunes up a little

IF you Haven't,,,,, would TRY Redline Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil,,,,,, I would like to hear back from you After the noise IS GONE!......

I think you Would,Will thank me. :D

signed....BUBBIE

So here's a new idea, I had the same type problem but at low speed, like coasting in a parking lot. The tech said I needed some belt lube. I don't remember what he called it but he wipes a little on the inside of the belt and I never heard any whine again. Not even in 5th gear. I think the stuff was called belt ease or something like that.

So here's a new idea, I had the same type problem but at low speed, like coasting in a parking lot. The tech said I needed some belt lube. I don't remember what he called it but he wipes a little on the inside of the belt and I never heard any whine again. Not even in 5th gear. I think the stuff was called belt ease or something like that.

I have heard Paraffin wax works... I've used it,,, an old candle.

signed....BUBBIE

Well, I got the front tire replaced and the whine is gone. I was kinda sad to see it go. There was still plenty of tread on it and I am conservative about my tires.

Thanks for the advice! I feel better now. I road for an hour to break the tire in and did some hard braking and turning in a parking lot at the end of the ride.

FYI: I may have been said her before. I took the rim to the dealer to have a new tire put on so I could learn how to take it off. While it was off, I measured the brake pads and rotors and gave the brakes a good cleaning. When I put the tire on, the brakes really didn't grab at first. After a bit of riding they were back to normal. Just so others don't think something is wrong after a cleaning.

Back