free website stats program Whine: anywhere else to look? | Harley Davidson Forums

Whine: anywhere else to look?

Porter

I know this is a tough one for an internet board but here it goes:
About 3 weeks ago on my way to work I noticed a "whine" develop. It was definitly not there and then all at once it was. From what I can tell it is:
1.) Most noticeable in 5th and 6th gear (when I am going releatively fast) but I hear it more faintly in 3rd and 4th.
2.) Seems louder when I am in a turn. Right or left: doesn't matter.
3.) I can just barely hear it under the exhaust, but when I am between 2000 rpm and ~2300 and I have the throttle in such a position that I am just maintaining speed, (not decel rumble or acceleration, that "quite" spot I can hear it best. It doesn't seem to get higher or lower in tone with speed. Just a constant tone.

No problems shifting. All fluids are spot on (Mobile 1, Spectro 6 speed, Spectro Syn Chaincase). Tightened/checked the belt yesterday. Checked tire pressure:in specification. The only other thing is that I have the original front tire and the tread is starting to get low. I want to wait a little bit more for the rear so that I can have both tires replaced at the same time. I wouldn't think that it could be the front tire with lower tread. (High tread would make more noise, I would think).

Any thoughts before looking at something more involved (transmission)?
Plan of attack for diagnosis?
(39,489 miles on the odometer this morning)

Last edited:
A lot of 6 speed transmission owners complain of the 5th gear whine. Try changing the trans oil to Spectro 6 speed oil.
kemo

I'd take another look at your tires, front and rear. There seems to be a point at which all of a sudden one or both have cupped enough cause a whine, and the whine will get louder as the cupping wears deeper.

It's probably the tires or a remote chance it is the belt tension being too tight. I have both on my bike. New tires took away a ton of strange noises,, especially on curves.

You did say it didn't seem to change with speed but I still suggest checking your tires for cupping as this will do what you desribe. cupping can sometimes be hard to spot right off so look carefully. There's info on it in self help also.

Porter,
How many miles on the tires???

Surly they have been changed once? what kind of mileage do you get on the tires? and what brand IF replaced with non-stock ones?

just wanted to know.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie:
The front tire was on the bike when I bought it used from a dealer (about 4K on the bike). I have not changed the front tire at all yet and I have 39K on the odometer. It is a Dunlop. I have put on 2 rear tires so far, getting about 13K on each of them, so this current rear tire is starting to get lower and will need to be replaced soon and I will do the front as well at that time (maybe sooner).
I am pretty amazed at how long the front has lasted. I wish I could get more mileage out of my rear. My rear seems to be a normal wear rate compared to what others have posted, but perhaps my front was made from a harder compound. We will see when I get the new one on.

Kemo: I have Spectro in the trans. This whine is different. I know the 5th gear "whine" with and without Spectro.

You did say it didn't seem to change with speed but I still suggest checking your tires for cupping as this will do what you desribe. cupping can sometimes be hard to spot right off so look carefully. There's info on it in self help also.

Thanks to all on the tire cupping suggestions. I will look very closely when I get home. I had the bike on the lift but I typically on look for big cuts or cracks. Didn't think about cupping and I'll check the self help section.

I was thinking about the belt tension, but I used the gauge and had someone help me when re-torqueing the rear wheel nut to ensure that the cam didn't move at all. (I still can't figure out how you can easily tighten the rear wheel nut and not move the cam when doing so by yourself. I think you could get it but it has to be multiple attempts or luck. I haven't done it on the first try by myself)

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect it's your front tire. I had exactly the same whine but couldn't see any cupping myself. Took it to the dealer, they checked, said it was cupped and put on a new tire. Guess what?.....the whine went away.

Bubbie:
The front tire was on the bike when I bought it used from a dealer (about 4K on the bike). I have not changed the front tire at all yet and I have 39K on the odometer. It is a Dunlop. I have put on 2 rear tires so far, getting about 13K on each of them, so this current rear tire is starting to get lower and will need to be replaced soon and I will do the front as well at that time (maybe sooner).
I am pretty amazed at how long the front has lasted. I wish I could get more mileage out of my rear. My rear seems to be a normal wear rate compared to what others have posted, but perhaps my front was made from a harder compound. We will see when I get the new one on.

WOW !!

never thought ANY tire would get that kind of mileage..... Tire wear is making the noise!

I Think It to be the front TIRE!

signed....BUBBIE

(I still can't figure out how you can easily tighten the rear wheel nut and not move the cam when doing so by yourself. I think you could get it but it has to be multiple attempts or luck. I haven't done it on the first try by myself) (Quote from Porter). place a pull bar on it and block it from moving. With a little imagination you can come up with a plan, just think it through for a bit and don't damage the precious goods.

Back