free website stats program whick oil is ok for my bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

whick oil is ok for my bike

If same lube goes in all three holes, one could ask why...? The simple answer HD Syn 3 is a compromise:

Engine - most stress, widest temp range, most pressure (5 micron filtration), clean consistant oil viscosity must prevent bearing film shear or break down, needs lowest friction, so very slippery oil like Mobil V-Twin 100% Synthetic is recommended. HD Syn 3 is a synthetic blend, a compromise, so not the best choice for engine life.

Tranny & Chain case - thicker gear oil 85W-140, extra additives for hypoid meshing gears, slinging oil from multi-plate chain needs to stay where needed, not coating the cases...100% Synthetic gear oil by Spectrol, Redline, BelRay, Amsoil or others are all very good.

Wet Clutch - oil wetted, 100% Synthetic may be too slippery and actually shorten life due to slippage...use Petroleum based oil MA JASO rated made for oil wetted clutches. If a Sporty where both the tranny and clutch reside, petroleum based 85W lube like Spectrol Primary Chain Case gear oil should be used.

There are special threads, that discuss plenty of opinions expressed, and polls for data to help you decide.

Last edited:
Lifter.jpg

Here is a pic of stock HD lifters . if you have the one on the right on your bike, you should have them changed

well i road hard and fast today .no more ticking after warmed up..she runs like the wind .what a awesome bike, runs and sounds great..i got a mint shape 93 fxdwg loaded with chrome for 6000 .very pleased and best of all no payments.....shes a black and chrome masterpeice...its hard to leave the garage at night....i even lift it up and clean the bottom..laying on the garage floor...wife thinks im nuts...but its bye far the best thing i ever bought.over atvs dirtbikes ,boats ,campers ect.....nothin compares to that hog....i will keep her till im old and gray....i might bye another one someday and park it next to her so i have 2..one cruiser and one speedster..bar hopper

oh yea that amsoil seems to be fine.i will keep it pumped in her till shes old and tired....or im 6 feet under and someone else will enjoy her......

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear alls good:) So tellus what you really think about your new bike:bigsmiley20::s
Amsoils good oil...some people don't like the company set up .....pyramid style...I agree with that ...but the oils good. JMHO.

Caper, thank you for the good information regarding the two lifters you have pictured...is right one a different revision of the same part number? Might help to post both part numbers and if you know when the new one took effect, it would be a great help!

Last edited:
Yeah, sure thing. The lifter on the right is 18523-86 and the one on the left is 18523-86B. In my '90 softail was the one on the right(I borrowed this pic from someone else when this was discussed before) and the one on the left is 18523-86B. There was a change to an "A" lifter, but I don't remember exactly when,but I think it was '93 or '94 then in '97 went to the "B" lifter and it is used to this day.
Some engine builders that this topic was gone over with said there was a MOCO bulletin put out in mid '90's saying the previous lifters should be inspected or replaced at 25-30,000 miles.
The 18523-86B lifter is as good as or better than any Evo lifter on the market and cheaper than the aftermarket alternatives.
If I can dig up any more accurate info on the lifter upgrades(mainly when they went from -86 to -86A I'll post it.
The front exhaust pushrod is usually where the 1st sign of a lifter going south is because it's on a steeper angle than the other 3, the ticking gets louder and doesn't go away.

well i road hard and fast today .no more ticking after warmed up..she runs like the wind .what a awesome bike, runs and sounds great..i got a mint shape 93 fxdwg loaded with chrome for 6000 .very pleased and best of all no payments.....shes a black and chrome masterpeice...its hard to leave the garage at night....i even lift it up and clean the bottom..laying on the garage floor...wife thinks im nuts...but its bye far the best thing i ever bought.over atvs dirtbikes ,boats ,campers ect.....nothin compares to that hog....i will keep her till im old and gray....i might bye another one someday and park it next to her so i have 2..one cruiser and one speedster..bar hopper

oh yea that amsoil seems to be fine.i will keep it pumped in her till shes old and tired....or im 6 feet under and someone else will enjoy her......

just don't forget to warm that Evo up BEFORE you run her hard and fast. By the way I would probably stick with a good dino oil in that motor. It's cheaper and I know a few people with Evo's and they don't seem to like the synthetic.

yea i always let her warm up before i take off.i will let it run 15 minutes in the driveway,while i get my stuff together...i road today 130 miles and it ran like the wind....im gonna run it this summer ,then tear it down in the fall and rebuild it.that way its good for another 30,000 miles..and i know whats in it. i thought synthetic would be great for a older bike with 27,600.really thats not alot of miles for a 93...the guy i bought it from. said he only put about 1500 miles a year on it..rest of the time it sat in heated garage.he bought her new in spring of 93...

yea i always let her warm up before i take off.i will let it run 15 minutes in the driveway,while i get my stuff together...i road today 130 miles and it ran like the wind....im gonna run it this summer ,then tear it down in the fall and rebuild it.that way its good for another 30,000 miles..and i know whats in it. i thought synthetic would be great for a older bike with 27,600.really thats not alot of miles for a 93...the guy i bought it from. said he only put about 1500 miles a year on it..rest of the time it sat in heated garage.he bought her new in spring of 93...

15 mins is a bit long...but it's definitely long enough to keep the base gaskets from leaking/weeping:s. just a couple minutes warm up is all it takes ,just don't start up drop it in gear and hammer it, that's how you end up with the base gaskets leaking. Syn oil is good to run in it and you won't have any problems like that with a proper warm-up.27,600 is nothing for a 93 Evo, my 90 has 154,000 on the clock and it wasn't on the road last year at all. Unless you go really radical with the rebuild you shoud be able to get another 100K out of it easy,but with a dyna you might consider putting a torque arm on it 'cause the primary is prone to flexing on them and if you ride em hard you can crack the inner primary. They're not quite an FXR but the Dyna's are sure fun to ride .....enjoy!!!!!

thats good to know.because im gonna put a few thousand on it this season.because im gonna use her as a everyday driver and give my trucks a break.afterwork and all weekend.i live in a small city and still hang with 6 of my childhood buddies,and they all have harleys too.i was the last one to get one.but im the only one with 4 kids i had to raise first...they are all grown and on there own now.so me and mom have a ton of free time and $$$$$ now..

Back