free website stats program Which year Heritage Softail Classic? | Harley Davidson Forums

Which year Heritage Softail Classic?

Ozoneman

I'm looking at FLSTC Heritage Softail Classic. I found a new 2007 and of course there are 2008s. Is there any advantage of buying one over the other. I just started looking at HD and not familiar with the history of different model years. Also, should I be looking at a 2006 or older model for any reasons?

This is my opinion and opinion is the lowest form of knowledge. I say the newer the better. Harley has a two-year unlimited mileage warranty and that alone makes buying a newer bike a good idea. If you found a new '07 that is leftover and the price is right, go for it. I bought a '07 FLHTC that had been owned by the owner of the dealership. Still got a full year on the warranty and I can figure that the bike has been well cared for. Another thing against an older bike is that you don't have any guarantee as to how it has been ridden and maintained. The previous owner may tell you that he only rode it to church on Sundays and changed the lubricants on time but how do you KNOW? After all, he wants to sell the bike.

The last thing I'm going to bring up is what model you choose. The Heritage is a great bike but consider what sort of riding you want to do. If your rides will be relatively short the stock Heritage will be fine. My wife and I often just head out and figure out where we are going as we go along. That can make for some long days in the saddle. We looked at the Heritage and the Road King but bought an Electra Glide. I like the look of the Road King better but my wife fell in love when she sat in the saddle of the Electra Glide. That EG is just comfy!

Storm

Looking at the only differences between the 07 and 08, basically the drive by wire in the 08, I can live without because of some of the shortcomings of the system. The 07 on the other hand may be a better choice being a left over, the price should be more negotiable on it. You still get the same 2 year warranty on both. Generally the dealer will try to push the 07 out to make room for the 08 bikes so you should have more leverage with the price. Get your best price first, then ask for a few pieces of chrome installed at their expense to "make it happen" . It works!

Storm, you have some very good advice. I have a Deuce and a Road Glide. The Deuce is a blast and an attention getter, however after a couple of hundred miles my comfort is gone. The Road Glide, however, I can ride all day and I remain very comfortable.

You might want to rent different models to see which one fits you best!
Hey Blues, I hate to hear that about the deuce :( But oh well, I'll suffer for a while. My husband has the EGC, and he won't let me ride his because he's afraid I'll take it over, he's already said he won't ride behind me......ha ha. But seriously, I'm okay on the long days so far. I don't have bags on mine, so I comandeered one of the Mr.'s. (Thanks honey). The deuce isn't the most practical overall, as for carrying things and long trips, I have a bunch of bungees and a backpack. I am willing to sacrifice the practicality and comfort for my style points at this time. I must say, his bike is really comfortable.....though he says after about 110 mph, he can't hear the radio anymore...But seriously, consider the type of riding you want to do and what you will need.

I'd reccomend an 06 or older and would stay away from the
6 speeds until they decide to fix some of the problems.

My 07 locked up after a downshift going into a curve....

Yeah, I haven't had too much trouble on mine. I was looking at a seat in the wishbook last night, but I haven't found mine to be too uncomfortable (yet). I haven't actually done many all day rides on it since I got it, last summer was way too busy, so we didn't get much riding in. I actually did all my really long all day rides with our buddies my first summer of riding and I was on the dual sport for those.....even that wasn't too unbearable. My husband has more serious back trouble than I do so he opts for the comfort of his electra glide and the adjustable rider back rest. I don't get much time on his bike...afraid to get too used to the comfort...

I'm looking at FLSTC Heritage Softail Classic. I found a new 2007 and of course there are 2008s. Is there any advantage of buying one over the other. I just started looking at HD and not familiar with the history of different model years. Also, should I be looking at a 2006 or older model for any reasons?
Did you decide not to go with the Heritage and if so why?

I'd reccomend an 06 or older and would stay away from the
6 speeds until they decide to fix some of the problems.

My 07 locked up after a downshift going into a curve....

what was the cause?

Last edited:
Did the trans actually lock up as in mechanical fault or was it choosing the wrong gear when down shifting?

This would be the first mechanical fault I have heard of in the 6 speeds if it was mechanical.

Did the trans actually lock up as in mechanical fault or was it choosing the wrong gear when down shifting?

This would be the first mechanical fault I have heard of in the 6 speeds if it was mechanical.

would like to know this also since I have the 07 6 speed!!!

Back