free website stats program Which one is best? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Which one is best?

my girlfriend went from a 96 Sporty to a 06 street Glide she is 5' 4'' I lowerd the front end and put a low profile seat on it ,She rides it like the wind ,I am always so amazed at her level of riding skills being she weighs in at 125 lbs , She says she was really nervious when she made her mind up on getting the Street Glide and was not sure,but now she would not trade it for anything and I have to agree with her she can really ride that bike and I can see her confidence , she has become 1 with her machine.

While I do ride an '04 Sporty with rubber mounts, solo, it is easy to ride long distances and I have modified mine to have an '05 4.2 gal tank extending my riding to about 180 mile tankful breaks along the way. Handling, I have no problems throwing the bike into a turn; while much more lazy a ride than my ol' sportbike which was a metric 600 Katana, it can lean pretty far over before dragging hard parts and eliciting a poke in the kidneys from behind if cutting a few twisties two-up...:s

Speaking about riding two-up, my pillion co-rider says it is a lot better than the ol' Kat, and now would give it perhaps a 7 out of 10. This is with an aftermarket Drag Specialties seat a somewhat narrow 9" pillion and sheepskin/gel pad clipped on top w/ padded sissy bar. She did ask that I should add a cup holder for her bottled water and we have on occasion stretched the storage situation a bit, but we now know our limits...:D

Being your height, a softail Deluxe is a very nice, well balanced, comfortable ride. I rode one for 5 day trips through mountains with no problems. Quick detach bags and WS makes it very diversable as well. I think it is the best handling softail. It will fit you well and give you trhe solid ride you need. :s

I absolutely agree you can tour on any Harley. However, there is no doubt some are more comfortable and less tiring on long rides. I've taken 2000 mile trips on my WG and my biggest gripe is a lack of cruise control.

Just as my WG would be easier on the ole body than a sportster with a rigid mounted engine, the same should hold true for a touring bike as compared to my WG. This assumes, that the rider and the bike fit one another, i.e., not forced to ride in an award position on your bike.

Not much to say on pure handling, if you want to go really fast on twisty roads a touring bike, or most Harleys, aren’t the quickest.

Bottom line for me……..whatever you ride, don’t be afraid to take the longer ride. At least give it a try.

Yea, as you get older you do appreciate more comfort. I just haven’t been able to pull the trigger on getting a touring bike.

I guess it all depends on how tuff your backside is!!! They are all great, its just what your comfort level is!

A sporty will make the trip. you would not be alone at Sturgis on one. The biger bikes are better at the haul and the toruing bikes are named that for a reason. Find what is comfortable and go have fun

(Then again, at my age, I can't imagine riding my Ultra to Bike Week anymore.....that's why God made TRAILERS!)
So your saying since Jesus was a carpenter that his dad must have been a welder? :p

Hey, Rich...a lotta controversy there, trailer?...wonder what kinda roads or mileage one gets up there...2 wheels is one thing, but a fifth wheel?

Last time I drove to Florida from south jersey, (where I live), it felt like I was NEVER going to get there, and by the time I did, I was exhausted! And...here's the kicker....THAT trip was made in a new air conditioned and quite comfortable Lincoln Town Car!

I can't do that ride on the scooter anymore! I'll trailer the bike behind my Suburban and un-load it in Daytona for the week, and load right back up again when it's time to go home.......not to mention.....that ride is nowhere NEAR as exciting on the way home as it is on the way down, believe me! All you can think about is getting home to your own bed! All the while eating dirt from the trucks around you and wondering which redneck biker bar stop along the way home is gonna be your last cold beer! Those guys don't all share the comraderie we have here!

I don't know Rich,I think some of what you said here goes back to your sky is falling theory! I enjoy every minute on the road (I do try to stay off of Interstates) and I have never been to a biker bar where anyone looked like they wanted to do me any harm, Most of the time if they see my Ontario plate they start asking what it is like in Canada and most are incredulous when I tell them it's the same as the States only a little further north!

Back