free website stats program which oil for primary? | Harley Davidson Forums

which oil for primary?

cossak

Just got new FLSTSE2.

While chatting with service mgr at local HD dealer, he has been helpful and very knowledgable so far in two years I known him. He got very adament when I told him I was going to use HD Formla + in the primary, he claims the proper oil is the HD synthetic; the Formula + is not as good in heat and the possibility of burning out clutch is way more likely. This is a guy that usually seems pretty laid back about HD vs aftermarket and it was a surprise to see him get so hot about which product to use. Both HD so? What is your guys thoughts??

I think he has his marbles scrambled.:laugh

Of course he works at harley so he should know..........NOT! They even have dealers still recommending Syn 3 in the trans too instead of a gear oil.

Any oil other than a synthetic and non energy conserving will do the job well.

Synthetics have been known to cause a bit of slippage after the miles pile up.

There are a lot and I mean a lot of us using Formula + in our primaries and have been a bunch of miles. Never heard of one issue with a primary concerning the use of Formula +.

Bodeen

A lot of talk about the best oil for the SE compensator, That IS installed in the 2011 bikes...

Many builders said Formula+ worked best with the SE compensator...(fretting,rust problem)

I have to agree that IF I had to use a Harley product, Formula+ is one I'd use...

If you use any other primary lube, Make Sure it says Wet Clutch Approved...

signed....BUBBIE

This is a subject that will never end.
8500 miles on 20/50 spectro in primary on this new ride lets see how it does as the miles add on.

Yep, just over 10,000 miles using Mobil 1 Vtwin 20W50 with no problems; yet...:laugh

Don't buy that line about clutch slippage using synthetics, but that could be because I haven't experienced it yet.:D

Maybe this next "little" trip pulling a 14 cu. ft. trailer might change my mind.

had been running hd oil in all three holes changed them at 2500 and the primary came out black with metal flake almost like pearl in paint been running mobil 1 v twin ever since with no problem.

This is a subject that will never end.
8500 miles on 20/50 spectro in primary on this new ride lets see how it does as the miles add on.

I thought you used Spectro Heavy Duty Primary oil along with 6 Speed for the tranny? Why the change of heart?

I put over 117,000 miles on my 00 FXDS Hot Rod and a 6 speed tranny gear set using All Redline Products..

The original Stock Clutch still worked good and no slippage at the end of My ownership... I used Redline MTL synthetic in the primary and MTL Does say "wet clutch approved"..

Shockproof Heavy = tranny
MTL = Primary
20/50 Premium = engine

signed....BUBBIE

I use Formula + in the tranny and the primary of my 08 EG Classic and Amsoil Syn in the engine. I was told by several techs to run the Formula + in the Primary because it's better for it.
Spectro is great for the transmission.
My HD dealership said if you run Spectro in the tranny, you only need to change it every 3 years, if Formula + then change it once every year.
The Formula + in the primary, change every other oil change.
If you're ever going to get a leak from the primary Synthetic will find it.

Back