free website stats program Which Oil for motor | Harley Davidson Forums

Which Oil for motor

Rockkin

I was wondering which oil to use for my 09 FXDL,conventional HD 20W50 or should I go synthetic? Any input would be helpful.

I was wondering which oil to use for my 09 FXDL,conventional HD 20W50 or should I go synthetic? Any input would be helpful.

Welcome to the forum. I recommend you do a search on this topic..you'll get enough info to keep you busy for weeks. Be VERY careful when discussing this as some people are PASSIONATE about their choice in oil.

Welcome Rockkin to the HDTimeline forum...! Since you have 2 separate holes (1) for the Engine, and (1) for the Primary Chain, Clutch and Tranny the choice is easier.

The Engine being isolated can benefit from cooler running longer life 100% Synthetic 20W-50 Oils not necessarily HD Syn3 which is a blend supplied by CITGO run by Hugo Chavez, who has a very anti-USA bent.

The Primary Chaincase/Tranny/Clutch means Dino-gear oiils without friction modifiers is best in there for long life clutch and high pressure gear meshing with less oil "fling" by the spinning chain.

But read the oil and lube polls and use genuine HD filters, gaskets and such and you won't go wrong...good hunting.

Welcome Rockkin to the HDTimeline forum...! Since you have 2 separate holes (1) for the Engine, and (1) for the Primary Chain, Clutch and Tranny the choice is easier.

I know he's got a Sporty on his profile, but he said he's got a Dyna Lowrider (FXDL).

3 holes:D

Opps, good catch CDN...Thanks! As for an FXDL you got 3 holes so your tranny being separated from the primary/clutch will benefit from 100% Synthetic gear oils that DO have friction modifiers...so Hypoid GL-5 Gear oils and such are a good choice. For the primary/clutch you still use Dino/Gear oils that are safe for oil wetted clutches.

Lets get right to the bottom line......Mobil One full synthetic for V Twin engines. There.....I said it!! :D

Of course, this is my opinion, but it is shared by many...... :s

My choice would be Spectro platinum 20-50 for engine, Spectro 6 speed tranny oil and Spectro Heavy Duty Primary. Ther are many good choices buy this is a good way to go.

Still living in the dark ages and running 20- 50 H D dino oil, never had a problem in my last 5 bikes and I ride every day JMO, I know Mobil is a better oil, just got to get out and do it once and see the change I guess:D

Back