free website stats program Which oil after 1,000 break in on Street Glide? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Which oil after 1,000 break in on Street Glide?

Good advice given. I have done all my own work since new: service/ inspections/mods, created a log book and even print the checklists out, complete and save in records, use quality fluids and lubes & save all receipts as well. If you have mechanical abilities most of this stuff is pretty simple. BTW a service manual is a very valuable tool to have. Not to mention quite a few good "how to" videos on the web... If I can do it you can to! Your scoot... do what feels right to you.

let a professional do it. They have their profession, and I have mine.
This is where the unfortunate problem lies. Typically a Master Tech at the shop does not do the service and its a entry level Tech performing service. If you happen to a conscientious professional and thorough Tech then you win. If not you can imagine what will transpire...... Actually the newer bikes are much easier to service than the older ones.;)
Plus you can log into Harley's web site and look up maintenance schedule for your own bike.

I don't know what typically happens,but at my shop when I came in the other day for a noise I was worried about,the foreman rode the bike,a guy about my age with a beard like Santa Clause.Turned out to be a cupped rear tire.Not that they're perfect,once on a FXDC I had I got the rear brakes done and when I hit a bump I heard a rattle,the caliper wasn't tightened down.When I told them,they sent the guy to my house to do the repair.The thing is,even an entry level tech is a professional,and been to schooling,and knows a lot more than me.

JMHO but I would pay for the 6K mile service; a good dealer will do more than an oil change. I know it's pricey but on a new bike, not a bad idea. If you don't want Syn 3, tell them, run HD20W50 conventional til the next oil change and then start pulling your own maintenance. Maintenance does include more than changing fluids and filters; the service manual lays you what to check and when.........;)

Good advice given. I have done all my own work since new: service/ inspections/mods, created a log book and even print the checklists out, complete and save in records, use quality fluids and lubes & save all receipts as well. If you have mechanical abilities most of this stuff is pretty simple. BTW a service manual is a very valuable tool to have. Not to mention quite a few good "how to" videos on the web... If I can do it you can to! Your scoot... do what feels right to you.
JMHO but I would pay for the 6K mile service; a good dealer will do more than an oil change. I know it's pricey but on a new bike, not a bad idea. If you don't want Syn 3, tell them, run HD20W50 conventional til the next oil change and then start pulling your own maintenance. Maintenance does include more than changing fluids and filters; the service manual lays you what to check and when.........;)
Yeah, I dont think I would have any trouble changing the fluids. Its the other maintence I need to familiarize myself with, i.e brakes, belt, etc...

If you do not have an owners manual you can find the schedules free here
http://www.southsideharley.com/custompage.asp?pg=service-download-maintenance-sched
Thanks Jack, I got the owners manual. Im thinking about going with Amsoil with everything. I've read alot of the guys like the Redline as well for the tranny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jack, I got the owners manual. Im thinking about going with Amsoil with everything. I've read alot of the guys like the Redline as well for the tranny.
I am running Redline, a great product

Back