free website stats program Which oil after 1,000 break in on Street Glide? | Harley Davidson Forums

Which oil after 1,000 break in on Street Glide?

Dean Harvey

I've read several synthetic oil reviews and as we know opinions vary greatly. I have a new 2016 Street Glide and I'm coming up on my 1,000 mile break in service, of course the dealership is ready for my business and they are pricey. Whats your opinion on either myself or another bike mechanic(not dealership) doing the service and saving on costs(will it hurt the warranty)? If the dealership does the service they will surely go back with the Syn 3...thoughts?

Buy a service manual your choice of the 3 oils needed use a factory H.D. oil filter and have at it. The money you will save and the satisfaction of job well done you will be further ahead. When I had my 1,000 mile service done I was working at dealer where I purchased bike and though they wanted to give me a discount on the hourly labor rate but they still wanted to charge me 3 hours. I negotiated with Service Manager and he charged me only 1.5 hours at discounted labor rate. Funny thing is I was working the day 1,000 mile service was done and bike was in and out of shop in little over a hour.

Doing it yourself or having an independent shop has NO effect on warranty. Keep receipts, and maybe create a maint. log.
My opinion on oil is to use a name brand oil, made for air cooled motor, dino or syn., your choice. Don't tell anyone what oil you use, if it's not the one they use, it will be wrong and you will hear bad things about self destructing engines. :D

Buy a service manual your choice of the 3 oils needed use a factory H.D. oil filter and have at it. The money you will save and the satisfaction of job well done you will be further ahead. When I had my 1,000 mile service done I was working at dealer where I purchased bike and though they wanted to give me a discount on the hourly labor rate but they still wanted to charge me 3 hours. I negotiated with Service Manager and he charged me only 1.5 hours at discounted labor rate. Funny thing is I was working the day 1,000 mile service was done and bike was in and out of shop in little over a hour.
I'm really leaning toward doing exactly what you said, thanks!

Doing it yourself or having an independent shop has NO effect on warranty. Keep receipts, and maybe create a maint. log.
My opinion on oil is to use a name brand oil, made for air cooled motor, dino or syn., your choice. Don't tell anyone what oil you use, if it's not the one they use, it will be wrong and you will hear bad things about self destructing engines. :D
Exactly, lol. I've read so many reviews on oil my head is about to spin!

Take a look at the oil, primary and tranny polls here on the forum and see what others are using and why.
Doing the service yourself is an easy process and will give you self satisfaction not to mention the $$$ you'll save.

Agree, getting to know your bike can be fun and save you $$$$, oil is a religion to some Choose wisely

I would avoid Syn3,especially in the primary.Sounds like a bucket of bolts at hot idle.Look into changing Your own oil.Lots of how to videos on You tube.Synthetic oil works great,just no Syn3 in primary.Use another brand or Formula Plus.

Well,the only service they insist on doing(dealer),at my place is the 1,000 mile service.Because it's the first time since the bike was assembled that they get to look it over.If you know everything to check,and look for,why not do it yourself.I also have a FLHX,2015 and do not know what to look for,nor do I trust myself to do it.I've done my oil changes on other Harleys I've had,but now use synthetic,so I'm off to the dealer every 5,000 miles.I consider it not so cheap insurance,to keep the bike I paid over 20 grand for to let a professional do it.They have their profession,and I have mine.And it's not motorcycle mechanic.

Back