free website stats program Which Makes You More Visible? | Harley Davidson Forums

Which Makes You More Visible?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Got to thinking about this today and I'm still not sure I've arrived at an answer so I'll throw it out for some opinions. As you probably know, my stock Street Glide has the batwing fairing with a single headlight in it. From a safety standpoint, which would make me more visible to other drivers:

1) Adding the extra lights up front more like an EG (not sure what the actual accessory is called - light bar?)
2) Headlight modulator

Thanks!

I'd go with extra lights too.

On my Herritage, I leave the fog lights on with low beam all the time, I aimed the left fog light slightly to the left and aimed the right fog light slightly to the right so if I'm in the middle lane, both drivers on my left and right got the beam of my fog lights at them, it's may be annoyance to them but in hope, they will see me.

Gotta go with the extra lites. I noticed that 3 headlight MCs were so much more visible a long time ago.

Wow, another thing just occurred to me. When you add the accessory light bar, you wire it through your accessory switch, correct? So it can be turned on/off independent of your main headlight, right? See where I'm going here? Is there anything to prevent adding the accessory light bar AND putting a headlight modulator on your center headlight? That should really make you stand out!

Stupid question probably,but I cant help wondering if your adding these exta lites,wont it mean a different battery or some kind of upgrade on the electrical generating side of things???(forget what the thing is called):bigsmiley21:

Shouldn't be a problem adding the lights. The stator/regulator can handle the additional load without a problem.

Stupid question probably,but I cant help wondering if your adding these exta lites,wont it mean a different battery or some kind of upgrade on the electrical generating side of things???(forget what the thing is called):bigsmiley21:

2008's have more than enough amps to handle extra lights and stuff. I went with the headlight modulator but the cages pull out in front of me when I use modulator and when I have all 3 lights on. I realize that it is their attitude and they are gonna pull out in front of you no matter how visible you are just because they can.

When I first got my SG, it seemed like everyone was pulling out in front of me. Once I aimed the headlight higher and put a PIAA plasma bulb in, I haven't had much problem with people pulling in front of me. I do ride with the high beams on during the day.

One thing I noticed on a recent road trip: The EGs with the light bar on and only the low beams look more like a car in the distance because you only see the 2 outer lights. These could easily be mistaken for a cager that is farther away than the bike actually is.

Hey Mikey,

I, too, ride with the high beams on during the day. Seems like the majority responding here say to go with the extra lights but for the money, my gut keeps telling me the modulator makes you stand out more. Just like I think the brake light modulator is more effective than wiring up more lights to come on when you brake.
I'm not familiar with the plasma light you mention. Different color or intensity? I'll have to do some research.

Back