free website stats program Which is better Heli coil or Larger Bolt | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Which is better Heli coil or Larger Bolt

TQ - I meant to say that I will practice on a SCARP piece of alumimiun. Thanks for your concern

That is good, but still take the primary cover off and do the work. Clean everything up well and then reinstall on the inner primary.

TQ

Thanks for the reply Smitty.

From what I have read on the internet a tap with a reverse thread is used.

No reverse anything. Just drill out the stripped theads, use special tap, screw in coil (locktite if you like), break of tang tab and go.

There are now some knock off companies making look alike HeliCoil kits. Don't make that mistake. Use Genuine Heli-coil sets. They are awesome. The new threads will be SS and alot stronger.

Hoople is correct, and yes use Gunuine Heli-coils, they are stainless steel inserts developed when aluminum started to be used in high performance aircraft.

To this day, they are called out where you need to mount hardware stainless screws threaded into aluminum, but not stress properly threaded aluminum holes with stainless steel Helicoil inserts only, where high torque fasteners in high vibration stressed environ...

heilicoil works fine, be sure and finish off with bottom tap. clean out hole with a little solvent, go easy on loctite. red or green.........bw

Also with the cover off you can put a "catch rag" behind the holes you are working on to help catch shavings. Still use the grease that's a great idea... Clean & locktite coil in place after you've done them all...

This maybe an option. The advantage over a helicoil is. This insert has a lip. Since the hole you are repairing is a through hole. You do not have to worry about the thread insert turning through the hole with the screw. Just something to consider.

Helicoils are very easy to install. Search YouTube there are some good videos on how to. Napa Auto store normally has the kit you will need. The kit will not come with the drill, but will have the drill size. I just buy the drill while there and keep it with the kit. One kit will do about 10 holes.

NEW TIME-SERT 5/16 - 24 UNF Thread Repair Kit Rethread

i would take the cover off,for any drilling/tapping we use one of our mills to get a perfectly straight hole.knowing most folks dont have a mill laying around,i would at least use a drill press(im sure you either have one or have a buddy whos got one).if you get the holes cocked and have to buy another cover,taking it off aint going to be that big of a deal anymore!!

Heli-Coil for sure, if you do the oversize bolt and it screws up at somepoint in the future you are stuck, with care the Heli-Coil will last for the life of the bike, You may want to check your torque wrench, it could be out of calibration. If you know an aircraft mechanic check yours against his, they have to have them re-certified each year.

If you are buying helicoils they come in different lengths, 1xD,2xD etc.this means 1 times the diameter of the thread a 1xD for example 1/4" diameter helicoil will be 1/4" long and a 2xD will be 1/2" long and so on.
The strongest thread you can achieve is 2.5 x D,any longer is overkill.

Back