free website stats program Which is better Heli coil or Larger Bolt | Harley Davidson Forums

Which is better Heli coil or Larger Bolt

dangerdan

I managed to strip 2 of the holes in the primary cover that hold the primary cover inspection plate . I did use a torque wrentch with the correct settings.
I believe the previous owner had a tendancy to overtighten causing the aluminum to break down.

Am I better off to re-tap all holes with a larger bolt and finer thread or replace all holes with Heli coils.

Heli coils will work find, have used them before, not that I have ever over torqued anything:) I would not want to have to look at a bigger bolt in one or two holes.

A heli coil will be a better fix than going bigger. If you just go to a bigger bolt you will still be useing a steel bolt in aluminum threads, heli coil will last alot longer than aluminum threads.

You can use red thread locker or green sleeve retainer on the outside of the heli coil. just be sure the let them sit for an hr or two before putting the bolt in, if you put the bolt in right away you might lock the bolt aswell.

You can use red thread locker or green sleeve retainer on the outside of the heli coil. just be sure the let them sit for an hr or two before putting the bolt in, if you put the bolt in right away you might lock the bolt aswell.

Thanks Daves...

Now for the $64,000.00 question.

Can I do this without removing the primary cover.

Heli coil and yes you can. However the real question is have you done enough of these that your up to the task?
It is not that expensive to have it done by a pro.

Thanks for the reply Smitty.

Nope, never done one before. From what I have read on the internet a tap with a reverse thread is used. My concern was with the metal bits inside the primary when I run this tap.

I am going to try a few practice holes and if I have any problems I will look at getting this done by a pro.

Thanks to all who responded

Heli-coil as long as there is enough "meat" in the primary cover where you are gonna be putting the heli-coil. You have to drill a fairly large diameter (by comparison) hole and tap that to screw the coil into. If it will work, do as has been suggested above, and Lock-tite it in there. Let it set up good before messing with it. And DON'T do this with the cover on. Take it off and do it right.

TQ

Thanks Daves...

Now for the $64,000.00 question.

Can I do this without removing the primary cover.
I've done them while they were on, if the hole goes all the way through put some heavy grease on your bit before drilling and drill slow, also grease on the tap, the grease will help keep the metal filings from going in the primary case if done right.
Can't remember but I think the 95 cover has the three hole cover derby cover, this would give me the excuse to upgrade to a 99 cover that has the 5 hole derby that seals better, I would look at the heli coils, tap & drill that I did not have to buy as a discount on brand new chrome cover. Your cups half full not half empty:)

Back