free website stats program Which ignition parts recommended ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Which ignition parts recommended ?

murf

I have a '92 fxr(t) that I am slowly changing/upgrading. Just had a complete carb. overhaul. Thought my mileage would improve noticably but that didn't happen. Was getting 30-34 mpg prior and my first thank after o/h was only 34.5. Runs good and idles better than it has since I've owned it. The friend I bought it from replaced plugs prior to me getting it. It has S. E. ign. and I'm going to replace the plug wires and probably plugs. The plugs it came with have less than 6k on them and I haven't even looked to which brand they are. I ride somewhat conservatively and I'm not a hot rod but will occassionally jump on it hard just because it feels good (who doesn't ?). Any recommendations as to brand of parts etc.

Thanks Jack, I'll check the link you provided. I don't want cheap as that will simply require me to do it again too soon. I'm thinking the wires are either orig. or just old and I'm getting weak spark to the plug.

Thanks Jack, I'll check the link you provided. I don't want cheap as that will simply require me to do it again too soon. I'm thinking the wires are either orig. or just old and I'm getting weak spark to the plug.

Do you have an ohm meter, if you check the wires be sure to flex them a bit to see if the readings change, We used to use a spray bottle with water on the coil just a bit to see if it made a change in the way it ran, that would tell if you have a cracked coil, look for arcing at night time also, Good Luck

What I read into this is I have a dual fire ign. but it is recommended to switch to single fire ? I guess the coil will need to be replaced along with the plugs and wires ?

What I read into this is I have a dual fire ign. but it is recommended to switch to single fire ? I guess the coil will need to be replaced along with the plugs and wires ?

Yep, take a look @ J P catalog if you have one, many good choices out there, I have used Dynas for a lot of years very easy install and good tech support [URL="http://exit.hdtimeline.com/postid342725"] Dynatek Performance Electronics - Harley Davidson Dyna S and Dyna S Ignition & Coil Kits
[/URL]

Back