free website stats program Which heads for an '03 88" | Harley Davidson Forums

Which heads for an '03 88"

coop85

I have an '03 ultra with the stock engine. After tons of work, research and help from this forum, it looks like I have a crack in the rear head and am looking for options. It was suggested to me to get some 110 heads for the potential upgrade to 95" cylinders down the road. I've also read mixed reviews on those heads though. If I have to buy a new head, I'd like to be able to use it when I upgrade the cylinders if possible. I'd like to do the whole thing right now, but of course $$$$ is an issue and I want to get the bike going again soon.

Thanks,
Marcus

Quick update, looks like I may have the funds to go ahead with the big bore upgrade as part of the project. So now the question is do I have my cylinders bored to 3.875" or go with a kit. Of course the kicker is I still need the new heads in addition to all that is required to increase the volume.

Thanks again.

I suggest getting your cylinders bored out as seasoned cylinders are better than new. I would get them bored to 98" instead of 95" though. There are several companies that do this, GMR Performance, Hillside, V-Twin Racing, etc.

As far as heads go I would look for some 06 and up heads. They flow much better than your 03 heads do. You will need an 06 manifold as your 03 won't work. The 110 heads valves are too big and a lot of the 110 heads that are for sale are 07 & 08 CVO heads that were pulled off as part of a recall. They would need some work by a head porter that is familiar with them to remedy the problems.

Don't forget you will need to address the fuel management too with this new build.

HTH,
Randall

Back