free website stats program Which harley to buy | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Which harley to buy

Merged

2 words for you..... Heritage Softail. Very sexy looking bike, handles great, and the wife will love riding on it. Get her the passenger footboards instead of pegs. More comfy for her. Quick release windshield if u just want to ride around town. Nice saddle bags for weekend getaways. I had one for over 4 years and loved it. Traded it in recently on my Ultra Limited and while I love my new ride, I still miss the old Heritage. Ok, that was much more than 2 words, but you get the idea.....
Good luck with your decision and marriage in general :D

I like the heritage and I definitely understand what your saying about the comfort but I think I would rather have like a softail standard with sportier look and simpler

Hi timd, welcome to the best forum out there. I started out my street riding on a Honda CB750 chopped front end, then moved to an 83 Goldwing which I loved for long trips and liked less for the other 90% of my riding. Did some time on a 2005 Honda Shadow and then made the plunge to my current 08 Softail. Got to tell ya, I have ridden some other Harleys (Ultra, RoadKing...) and, for me, the Softail was the best fit. I really liked the 05 RoadKing but for slow manuevers, the wheel felt heavy. The ultra was an older model and it vibrated so bad my wife was determined to never get on another Harley, but she absolutely loves the Softail. Likes the look and the ride. We will be getting a better pillon seat in the near future, but she has no other complaints.

Look at the choices you are set on, sit on them, test ride them, and by all means get some down and dirty opinions. I would look at the self help tips in here for the models you are considering so you can see what some of the common issues are with each bike type.

I have done all the maintenance on my bike and I am a horrible mechanic. The softail is fairly easy to work on and to learn on. Good luck and have a great time in this process. Either way, your getting a Harley...:s

I will look into the self help tips I didnt see that section beforw could be helpful in picking a bike also thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooner or later you'll own and ride a bagger. Road King is my vote.

Yep - Road King. But of course, thats what I ride. I take mine everywhere...short runs, long runs, with and without the windshield.

Regardless, when BOTH of you sit on THE bike you think you like.....you both will know which one "talks to you"......grab it.

First step ( in my opinion), upgrade for Momma's comfort. After that, the shy's the limit.

Be Safe, Have Fun, Dont Settle

I'll swim against the current here. I wanted a bike to do the same type of riding as you. I bought a 2012 Dyna Super Glide Custom and couldn't be happier. The ride is just as good as any Softail and with a Sundowner 2-up touring seat the gf loves it. Very comfy and you easily can take long rides on the Dyna.

Best thing is you can buy a newer or even new FXDC for the same money as an older RK.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367408659.736787.jpg

Welcome to The Forum, I sure do not understand the dealer mentality about test rides, do they have rentals available? This may be a good way of trying what you like with your lady on the back. I have ridden pretty much all the models and am biased, get what makes you happy and comfort for 2 up riding, there are lots of GOOD bikes out there within your price range, Best of luck:s

Welcome to The Forum, I sure do not understand the dealer mentality about test rides, do they have rentals available? This may be a good way of trying what you like with your lady on the back. I have ridden pretty much all the models and am biased, get what makes you happy and comfort for 2 up riding, there are lots of GOOD bikes out there within your price range, Best of luck:s

I don't think they have rentals but I'm going to make sure I get a test ride or I'm not going to buy from there

Yep - Road King. But of course, thats what I ride. I take mine everywhere...short runs, long runs, with and without the windshield.

Regardless, when BOTH of you sit on THE bike you think you like.....you both will know which one "talks to you"......grab it.

First step ( in my opinion), upgrade for Momma's comfort. After that, the shy's the limit.

Be Safe, Have Fun, Dont Settle

I like the road king but I don't think I will be able to get one under 10k with out having a million miles on it but you never know

I'll swim against the current here. I wanted a bike to do the same type of riding as you. I bought a 2012 Dyna Super Glide Custom and couldn't be happier. The ride is just as good as any Softail and with a Sundowner 2-up touring seat the gf loves it. Very comfy and you easily can take long rides on the Dyna.

Best thing is you can buy a newer or even new FXDC for the same money as an older RK.

View attachment 14340

Thats what I been reading that the ride is as good as a softail and handles better and probably more in my price range I won't be able to get a new one but hopefully a decent used one

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the road king but I don't think I will be able to get one under 10k with out having a million miles on it but you never know

got mine for well under 10K plus under 10k miles....just need to keep looking there are deals out there

Back