free website stats program Which Bike should I buy ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Which Bike should I buy ?

Discerner

Hey all, I need some advise please. I am buying a new Harley as soon as I sell a house we have on the market. My question is, can someone tell me the differences between the Softail Deluxe and the Road King. I assume that the Road King is a bit more comfortable on long rides but I love the Softail looks, the lower seat etc.. My question is this, is the Softail okay for long rides from state to state. Will it be comfortable. Most of my riding will be in town but I would want the comfort for those longer rides. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many, many folks do long distances on Softails, Dynas, and even Sportsters. Add a windshield, saddlebags, backrest with "T Bag" style luggage, and maybe upgrade the seat and you're good for many hundreds of miles. That being said, the touring family of Harleys was specifically designed for this application. The frames, fairings, and suspension were designed to keep you in the saddle all day long.

Every "which bike should I buy" post boils down to this - you need to do an honest evaluation of the type of riding you will do the majority of the time. Touring? Quick trip for coffee? One up or two? Daily commute?

Use the search function and you'll find numerous interesting threads for your research. Then I heavily recommend you demo or rent the one or two models you're seriously considering. Spend the better part of a day doing this if you can, maybe even a weekend if you're leaning towards touring.

Then,buy the bike that makes your heart skip a beat!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :cheers

Softtail, hmmm. :newsmile07:
Road King, yea its the KING! :newsmile047:

I am biased towards the touring line. I looked at the Deluxe with whitewalls and spokes, then decided that the Road King Classic was for me. You will most likely love the bike you buy, because it is yours. Buy the one that speaks the loudest to you.

Hey all, I need some advise please. I am buying a new Harley as soon as I sell a house we have on the market......

LOL!! With the current state of the housing market, Maybe you should be asking questions about the 2010 or 2011 models!!!!

Either one of those bikes would serve the basic purpose. We take long rides with other couple... 4 bikes. My wife rides her own Deluxe and the other girl rides a Road King. My wife has ridden over 500 miles in a single day and says she could do more... After putting the windshield..saddlebags and a few basic items the price become equal since the Road King comes with those items so do not let the base price be the decision maker.

You have some great info here. Definately demo or rent what you are considering. IMHO the RK is the way to go, but I am biased towards the touring line as they fit me better.

LOL!! With the current state of the housing market, Maybe you should be asking questions about the 2010 or 2011 models!!!!
Ha Ha, cry... you are right, the house has been on the market for nearly a year. But it gives me something to look forward too.

Back