where's oil plug

Discussion in 'Oil' started by Jadedrooster, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Jadedrooster

Jadedrooster New Member

i'd like to change the oil on my 03 Ultra classic Flhtc i pulled a plug on right side and i'm sure that wasn't it cause not much oil came out and don't know what that plug was HELP !!! DON'T MEAN TO BE A DUMB (EDITED)

Please read this...
    [note]
    A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
    [/note]

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

The drain plug locations should be mentioned in the owners or service manual. If you are going to be working on the bike yourself, the service manual is a must have.

Take a look in the self help forum.

Oil Related Tips - Harley Davidson Community

3. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I second what Glider said - the service manual for your specific bike is worth its weight in gold. I would NEVER simply pull a plug if I wasn't 100% sure what it was.

4. dolt

dolt Senior Member Contributor

What the others said but to answer your question. There are two plugs at the lower front of the oil pan; the drain plug is the outer one. If that is the plug you removed, you probably didn't pull the dipstick and there is a vacuum in the oil tank that is shutting down oil flow. Get the service manual.

5. gs34

gs34 Junior Member

Check this out. it should help.
    [​IMG]

6. dolt

What you are showing as the crankcase drain is not the crankcase drain. The crankcase drain is in the bottom of the engine crankcase, not the oil pan. The boss indicated in the photo as the crank drain is the location for the oil temperature sending unit.

7. gs34

gs34 Junior Member

You better look at that picture a little closer. Note there are 2...countem...2 arrows pointing to 2 plugs. Both go to the crankcase. The one labled Mag. Plug is normally assumed to be the drain.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  8. glider

glider Veteran Member

All this confusion and it's all in the self help forum for the looking.

[​IMG]

9. dolt

I am not confused and can count. I have drained a crankcase or two and those plugs in the photo are not in the crankcase; they are in the oil pan. Perhaps we are dealing with semantics; the oil pan is where the oil lives; the crankcase is where the crankshaft lives. :s

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  10. glider

glider Veteran Member

Agree with dolt on this, just poor wording IMO but let's keep it civil guys.:s