free website stats program where's my trans fluid? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

where's my trans fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just getting interupted and forgetting to fill the tranny. I had a rear tire replaced and do not believe the axel was torqued to 100 ftlbs at the end. When I pulled the rear wheel for an inspection, I found the axel at 20 ftlbs, which is where the belt is tensioned. End result was a ruined bearing in the compensator hub. This is a split bearing and there is an explicit warning in the manual about early failure of this bearing if the axel is not torqued properly.

They can forget anything, and it is a wise rider that follows up behind the dealer when they perform any work on your ride.

well, here is what i'm thinking now. new bikes get checked on side stand w/ plug and stick at top of hole. if bike was on level lift and tech added fluid and screwed in plug to check....might look full. dropped off bike today(tues.)
pm in the rain. trans loaded w/ fresh 85w90 dino. motor working hard to pull bike. you can feel the surge like something isn't right. takes a lot of throttle to move this and pull in the clutch? just like grabbing the brake. called another dealer today and the service manager suggested i wait to see how selling dealer handles it but did say he would put in a new box complete case and all and turn it over to moco under warrranty. service manager at dealer this pm goes out and sees 1 drop of redline on the cross member and says i have a pinched o ring on plug. so i explain the situation to him again. just saw him a hour ago at the hog chap. meeting. he still don't understand. i did tell the service writer i wanted a new box. stay tuned for the next chapter of "where's my trans fluid". and no, i did not check the bike when i got it back in nov. i, like a fool, took them at their word. probably the last nickel i'll ever spend there. should've learned after the rk fiasco in 07. :-(

and no, i did not check the bike when i got it back in nov. i, like a fool, took them at their word. :-(

Well glimmerman, I think that just makes you normal (as "normal" as a Harley rider can be...LOL). When we have our bikes serviced at the dealer, we assume they know what they're doing and do it right.

I do all my own service but I have had my bike in a couple times for some warranty work and like you, I assumed they did it right and I didn't go over their work. After reading this thread, you can bet if my bike ever goes into the shop again, I will be checking things over when I get it home!

Good luck with the repairs. I hope things work out to your satisfaction :)

I always check whatever work was done anywhere. Nothing else but to make me feel better about the work that was done. I check bolts, fluid levels, you name it. In the long run it pays to check everything!

Try not to give up on this one, if you have all your paper work and they were the last ones to work on your bike it should be on there dime Hang in there and be firm and polite. may have to bite your tongue good luck, Jack

thanks for the consolation. i should have double checked after my 07 rk fiasco. $1617. wouldn't give me my reward points THEN within 2 days bike goes flat. spent another $800.00 at an indy shop. ran fine after that up until the pc went out in dec. guess the old learning curve is starting to flatten out w/ age. for sure i won't open my wallet there again unless it has to be. however, i am within 50 miles of 5 other dealers if that's what it takes.
didn't hear anything today and bike was promised by sat. pm. good luck on getting a complete box and swapping it out by then.

NOTHING WRONG w/ my trans. service manager says it's ok to run 2200 miles with 4 oz. of redline in the case. no leaks-ok, where did 28 oz of fluid go? told him i was replacing the entire box at my expense because if trans locks up and i get hurt, harley-davidson is responsible. you said it's ok. just give a me a receipt for service and i'll go away. he took the bike home today for "extended evaluation". whatever this means. stay tuned, it has to get better. read as laughable.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2009 Road King Classic shows full at 36oz. Sounds like they forgot to add the Quart part of the equation after 1st adding the four ounces. The fact that you were smelling the lube is not making sense to me though. Maybe excessive friction heated the lube and caused venting from expansion and evaporation? Hope you get a new tranny. You unquestionably deserve one.

here it is. no more posts after this on this subject. my head hurts from hearing so much---well i don't know what to say here, uh. anyway, no admission of guilt-expected. no new trans.-supposedly works fine, what whining noise. radio up loud and on another station. dealership diagnosis- bike overheated and trans pan expanded and let fluid leak out past o-ring. swear on the bible that's what he said. talk about insulting my limited intelligence. walk away hands in the air. my shadow will never darken their doorway again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back