free website stats program where'd they go? | Harley Davidson Forums

where'd they go?

Gus the Rat

Recently my father in law has givin me my first 2 wheeler, it just so happens that its a 76 shovelhead...

...and it scares the pants off of me to try to ride it

im not goin to lie, i have ridden a FEW times on 2 wheels and it never really went well for me. what i think i should do is invest in a cheap (CHEAP) old bike that i can practice with so i can get used to 'pushing' a clutch with my left hand...

but recently, all i see is newer model bikes for sale for 5k plus (not the kinda cheap i was looking for...more like $1500)

what ever happened to the old 80s style bikes that where kinda boxy looking..like a yamaha xs 500 or the like?

at one time in my life about 8 years ago, a fella wanted to sell me a bike for $1500...it was an old suzuki and i kick myself now for not ponying up the cash for it...but now, i NEVER see deals on older bikes like that....

where'd they all go?

They are all in sheds in the back yard, or the dusty corner of a garage. Forgotten, with the fuel in the tank evaporated with a thick goo remaining.
Find a nice big parking lot and practice after hours or on weekends. What do you mean "pushing" a clutch with your left hand, it should be "pulling" ?

ha...that was kind of a joke just for me...

im no stranger to working on engines....under hoods...with a clutch that is pushed with the foot ;)

the other big issue is that this shovelhead of mine has been sitting for about 6 years without even a start...im kinda worried about the engine being coated with that scum that forms on the surface of oil....no stranger to working on cars..but bikes seem to be a whole different beast - goin to have to be a huge learning curve for me to get this bike back to its trophy winning "best-bike" condition that it once was in.

......then i have to learn how to ride ha!

Recently my father in law has givin me my first 2 wheeler, it just so happens that its a 76 shovelhead...

...and it scares the pants off of me to try to ride it

im not goin to lie, i have ridden a FEW times on 2 wheels and it never really went well for me. what i think i should do is invest in a cheap (CHEAP) old bike that i can practice with so i can get used to 'pushing' a clutch with my left hand...

but recently, all i see is newer model bikes for sale for 5k plus (not the kinda cheap i was looking for...more like $1500)

what ever happened to the old 80s style bikes that where kinda boxy looking..like a yamaha xs 500 or the like?

at one time in my life about 8 years ago, a fella wanted to sell me a bike for $1500...it was an old suzuki and i kick myself now for not ponying up the cash for it...but now, i NEVER see deals on older bikes like that....

where'd they all go?

Riding in a parking lot is a good idea if you want to practice. If you are unsure of your skills take a Motorcycle Safety Course. The few bucks you spend will give you the basics and help you get your motorcycle endorsement. Not everyone is confortable on two wheels but with the course and some practice you may find that you really enjoy the experience. The MSC is taught as if you have never seen a motorcycle and the ones around here provide small bikes and helmets. There is a small amount of classroom work and then the course is taught in a parking lot. Don't think that riding will come natural, it is a learned experience. Congrats on the new ride, now let someone teach you the basics.

ha...that was kind of a joke just for me...

im no stranger to working on engines....under hoods...with a clutch that is pushed with the foot ;)

the other big issue is that this shovelhead of mine has been sitting for about 6 years without even a start...im kinda worried about the engine being coated with that scum that forms on the surface of oil....no stranger to working on cars..but bikes seem to be a whole different beast - goin to have to be a huge learning curve for me to get this bike back to its trophy winning "best-bike" condition that it once was in.

......then i have to learn how to ride ha!

Gus there will be responses to this post from some really knowledgeable people. I would first suggest that you look through the self help tips at the top of the page. I would also suggest that you empty the gas and oil tank and clean throughly. The wiring will need to be looked at and sprocket and chain cleaned up and replaced if necessary. I would think that the tires and tubes will have to be replaced. Take it slow and make sure the bike is road ready before you even take it to the parking lot. Ride safe

thanks for the replies.

the other reason i kinda want a smaller starter bike is because this one has big ol ape hangers and a stretched out fork, combined with a lot (LOT) of power and torque makes for a kinda unstable ride if your not used to it (according to the F.I.L.)

not to mention the bike is set up for my father in law....and he is about 6' 7" and lankey long legged dude....im 5' 8" and "routund" with short stubby legs....

my calves touch everything and i hafta put my feet on the very end of the pegs...gonna have to move some controls around before i feel comfortable just sitting on it and making a "vroom vroom" noise ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you may need to reconfigure the controls on the bike to fit you better. Including possibly changing out the handlebars and such.

You didn't say where you are from, but check here: Motorcycle Safety Foundation to find a beginners riders coarse near you, its well worth it.

You said the bike has sat for 6 years without running? Does it start now? If it does, throw some SeaFoam in the oil and gas tanks, run it through a heat cylce or two, then change the oil. There is a chance that adding the SeaFoam to the gastank could foul out the plugs, so have an extra set on hand. Other than that, check your points, and you should be good to go.

snapped a few pics of the bike just now (sorry my phone cam is awefull)

414c1fa1cd73a82.jpg

and

414c1fa1d26cafb.jpg

(hope this posts)

Gus

You obviously have a word in your address that is against the rules here and it gets starred out so the address will not work.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

oh yeah....

whooops...sorry about that!

try again like this :)

Attachments

• IMG00235.jpg
    IMG00235.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG00232.jpg
    IMG00232.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow a free bike.. much better than a free lunch..get a manual..get some stock bars & stock tubes. sounds like your my size. bike will be more managable my opinion...& Welcome.....

Back