free website stats program Where & why? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Where & why?

Already took a great 11 day ride down rt 66 to New Mexico, up through Colorado/Wyoming and then a couple days in the Black Hills of SD before hitting superslab back to Chicago.

Am now planning a 3-4 day ride around Lake Michigan.

Why?

Because I got to go on a great trip with me and some good friends. Now my better half is jealous.

That and we have an Ultra instead of the Heritage and she wants to ride more than ever.

Took a ride on Natchez Trace Pkwy over the weekend. It was just enough to want and take the wife on its entire length. Is the entire pkwy closed to commercial vehicles or is only the northern end? Any recommended areas to see on the ride?

Too bad I didn't see this thread last month. My wife and I took a ride out to the Okanagan area of British Columbia from our home in Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba. The plan was to get to Oliver, B.C. The route was decided on each morning or when we stopped to stretch our legs.
Rode up the Interlake area, across the Narrows, over to Yorkton, Sask. Took the Yellowhead Hwy up to Jasper Park. Turned south on Hwy 5A at Tete Jaune Cache, B.C. to Kamloops and on to Merritt. Merritt across to the Okanagan and down to Oliver. Spent a few days visiting relatives and riding up and down the Okanagan from Osoyoos to Kelowna.
The return home we passed over in to Washington and turned on to hwy 20 at Tonasket. Took hwy 20 to hwy 31 (open range area, watch out for cattle and their droppings) and crossed back in to Canada at Nelway just west of Creston, B.C. Took hwy 3 to Cranbrook and then hwy 95 up to Radium Hot Springs. Big horn sheep and mountain goats on the hwy 93 just east of Radium. Headed west on hwy 1 to Banff and from there headed to Okotokes, Alberta via hwy 22 and road 549. Okotokes to Calgary to visit relatives. Then up to Olds and up to Gasoline Alley at Red Deer for a replacement brake lever (damage caused by a brain cramp). Stopped at Innisfil to see the movie bears (kodiaks and black bears used in some Disney movies and for different ads). Rode to Airdrie for a night of good company and cold beer.
Left Airdrie and headed east through Drumheller towards Saskatoon , Sask. Great dinosaur museum at Drumheller; a must see if you have kids or for the kid in all of us.
Rode east from Saskatoon on hwy 5 just because I hadn't been that way before. Turned south at Canora to meet up with the Yellowhead at Yorkton again and returned to Manitoba and home.

A short 14 day 4000 mile ride just because I hadn't been to the mountains on a motorcycle since 1984 (on a 750 Honda) and have always told my wife their's no better way to see them than by motorcycle. And our Ultra fit the bill perfectly.
Next year, we hope to head east. Next week maybe head down to Fargo, N.D.

Been only out in SoCal for 8 years or so, but already found Kanan Road to Mulholland to PCH...another, PCH from Camarillo to Malibu (South) or go North all the way up to San Francisco. Hwy 33 up to Ojai and way beyond. Northern California, Hwy 116 to Hwy 29 either direction up to St.Helena (Napa Valley) or all the way down into Sonoma and Vallejo...my bucket list has brimmed since 1980 or so...and sadly only tapped the surface.

I guess tje why is a little tougher...it is the solitude and inner peace when your ride is singing in tune and on song, with the breathing space used in top gear to eat up as much tarmac as possible. Some people complain especially on their metrics (much less on their Harleys about "rowing thru the gears", cramped seating conditions or lack of decent power, but if you are not enjoying a little bit of "pucker factor", arm and wrist "pump up" followed by the huge grin on your face...tellling you how great life is, then it is the silent "partner" who taps you on the shoulder periodically followed by some squeals of delight when she sees something outrageous, a hawk snagging a bird mid flight, a huge mountain canyon, just beyond a lake or waterfall looming in the background or the sun setting on the ocean horizon on the way home...that feeling of sharing these treasures tells you why you do it and enjoy it everytime the ignition comes to life.

Last edited:
Back