where to start

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by christinazach, May 19, 2010.

1. christinazach

christinazach New Member

1988 softtail needs major rewiring i have new tank,fenders, handle bars [to be put on] the man i bought it from was meth head he did some strange things wiring wise so the handle bars are off elc tape every where, splices everywhere i think i am gonna take the old tank off tomorrow and try to trace every wire down i have looked at a few wiring kits but i do not know where to start
  2. Charlies Harley

Charlies Harley Active Member

First off get yourself a wiring diagram, then take on one circuit at a time and work your way through it. Any connections use solder and shrink tube, keep it simple, keep it neat and enjoy. Its easy once you know how.
  3. Dr.Evil

Dr.Evil Junior Member

I build allot of custom harnesses at my job. Some tips...
    Never, never, never use a Scotch-Lock
    Do not cut wire strands when stripping
    I always twist splices then solder
    Always use a heatshrink with a glue lining
    You can pack large multi pin connectors with a Dialectric Lube, it will not compromise the connections.
    If a split tubing cover is too big to rout, find some expandable woven sleve. You can pull it tight to the wires and it offers good protection against abraision.

Wire with a TXL covering is my favorite.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Or buy a new harness and dont worry:D
  5. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

I'd go with the new harness. Since you can't be sure what the guy did before, and you seem to think that he did some not so hot work why take a chance on something being wired wrong or a dead short? Try this site NAMZ . CUSTOM CYCLE PRODUCTS