free website stats program where to start | Harley Davidson Forums

where to start

christinazach

1988 softtail needs major rewiring i have new tank,fenders, handle bars [to be put on] the man i bought it from was meth head he did some strange things wiring wise so the handle bars are off elc tape every where, splices everywhere i think i am gonna take the old tank off tomorrow and try to trace every wire down i have looked at a few wiring kits but i do not know where to start

First off get yourself a wiring diagram, then take on one circuit at a time and work your way through it. Any connections use solder and shrink tube, keep it simple, keep it neat and enjoy. Its easy once you know how.

First off get yourself a wiring diagram, then take on one circuit at a time and work your way through it. Any connections use solder and shrink tube, keep it simple, keep it neat and enjoy. Its easy once you know how.

I build allot of custom harnesses at my job. Some tips...
Never, never, never use a Scotch-Lock
Do not cut wire strands when stripping
I always twist splices then solder
Always use a heatshrink with a glue lining
You can pack large multi pin connectors with a Dialectric Lube, it will not compromise the connections.
If a split tubing cover is too big to rout, find some expandable woven sleve. You can pull it tight to the wires and it offers good protection against abraision.

Wire with a TXL covering is my favorite.

Or buy a new harness and dont worry:D

Back