free website stats program Where to do 30-60-30? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Where to do 30-60-30?

I am a little dense about this. What kind of difference did it make if the engine already had thousands of miles on it? And, how did they know what difference it made? I am not trying to sound like a jerk, I just don't understand.:coffee

Not to worry, understand you're curiosity & this is actually the recommended user break-in for NEW bikes/engines. Suggest you search for Glider's post on this topic b/c he provides a wealth of information w/back-up on why it's important. You'll definitely see & feel the difference this makes with a new ride. Cheers!

Thanks, Iceman24 for clarifying. My bike has about 11 miles and is sitting in my garage since I got her from the dealership few days ago. I have not gone riding yet (and I am dying to do so) because I want to get the 30-60-30 done. My plan is this weekend. We shall see.

Any way of telling if your scoot had the 30-60-30 routine run against it? Just bought my first HD bike a few weeks ago, an '08 Ultra Classic. 8142 miles on the clock. Bought it thru an HD dealer and wasn't aware of this break-in procedure, and not sure the dealer would have been able to answer this particular question, had I asked.

Always rode metrics over the years, so not sure what I'd need to look/listen for on this ride. Seems to ride good as best I can tell - thx

Any way of telling if your scoot had the 30-60-30 routine run against it? Just bought my first HD bike a few weeks ago, an '08 Ultra Classic. 8142 miles on the clock. Bought it thru an HD dealer and wasn't aware of this break-in procedure, and not sure the dealer would have been able to answer this particular question, had I asked.

Always rode metrics over the years, so not sure what I'd need to look/listen for on this ride. Seems to ride good as best I can tell - thx

I'm guessing the only way would be to pull the heads & jugs to see how well they look in comparison to glider's examples, but some of the seasoned HDTimeline vets might have better recommendations.

thanks Ice - the hazards of buying used...thru a dealer no less. Although I like turning my own wrench..not sure I'd want to do open heart. Only other way that I can think of would be to keep an eye on how much, if any, oil this cruiser burns. Just finished changing the tranny and engine oil to the Spectro Glider was keen on - doing the primary tomorrow. Here's hoping the prior owner broke this ride in correctly - would be criminal not to... have a good one.

Well, just came back from breaking in the engine. Yesterday, I drove around to see where I could do this. I decided against the highway and found a two-lane (so cars can pass by) and pretty straight road. Out of the house by 6am on Sat. It was dark and COLD!! However, it got lighter soon enough, and there were no cars behind me while I was doing it. I also had the hazard falshers on, probably was not needed. Definitely, I'd recommend early in the morning on the weekend. Now I can ride!!

Well, just came back from breaking in the engine. Yesterday, I drove around to see where I could do this. I decided against the highway and found a two-lane (so cars can pass by) and pretty straight road. Out of the house by 6am on Sat. It was dark and COLD!! However, it got lighter soon enough, and there were no cars behind me while I was doing it. I also had the hazard falshers on, probably was not needed. Definitely, I'd recommend early in the morning on the weekend. Now I can ride!!

Glad to see you found a good "sweet spot" for the break-in & now your engine can run at full potential. Don't forget to finish the process with a oil/filter change & you're good to go. I did the same early AM run in the cold (brrr), but sacrificing some numb fingers for a healthy ride was worth it. Enjoy!

thanks Ice - the hazards of buying used...thru a dealer no less. Although I like turning my own wrench..not sure I'd want to do open heart. Only other way that I can think of would be to keep an eye on how much, if any, oil this cruiser burns. Just finished changing the tranny and engine oil to the Spectro Glider was keen on - doing the primary tomorrow. Here's hoping the prior owner broke this ride in correctly - would be criminal not to... have a good one.

There's no way I'd tear into the engine just to see if I could figure out what type of break in had or hadn't been done. Potential for doing more harm than good. Also, though the 30-60-30 method is highly recommended on this site and by many engine experts, it is NOT the only break in method. Many have posted in the past about using different techniques and getting many, many thousands of trouble free miles from their engines.

Hands down, the most important thing for your "new" bike is to get the quality fluids into it that you've already done and then keep up on scheduled/preventive maintenance.

Enjoy your Ultra!!!

Glad to see you found a good "sweet spot" for the break-in & now your engine can run at full potential. Don't forget to finish the process with a oil/filter change & you're good to go. I did the same early AM run in the cold (brrr), but sacrificing some numb fingers for a healthy ride was worth it. Enjoy!

Yap, plan to do it at 100 miles with Mobil1.

You're on your way now hdrocks, just don't forget for the first 500 miles kind of keep the speed varying, in other words don't drive a constant speed for too long at on time and try not to lug the motor. I'm sure you will have miles of smiles.:D If you are anywhere near Alton Illinois maybe I will see you around. Congrats.

Back