free website stats program Where to do 30-60-30? | Harley Davidson Forums

Where to do 30-60-30?

hdrocks

I am finding it hard to find a place to do 30-60-30 engine break-in. I am thinking of doing it on a high-way early in the morning when there tend to be less cars. I understand once you start, you have to be on a third gear till you do it 10-times. What if I shift down to 1st or 2nd after each 30-60-30? Thus each time, I will be starting from 1st, get up to 3rd, speed up to 60 and slow down to 30 and shift down to 2nd/1st and start all over. Does this make sense? If so, I can probably find a back road to do it. Thanks in advance.

I live in a rural area and it was easy for me. I just found one of the many back roads and had at it. If that's not an option, get someone to follow you so you don't get run over and find a quiet highway early and just do it.

I am finding it hard to find a place to do 30-60-30 engine break-in. I am thinking of doing it on a high-way early in the morning when there tend to be less cars. I understand once you start, you have to be on a third gear till you do it 10-times. What if I shift down to 1st or 2nd after each 30-60-30? Thus each time, I will be starting from 1st, get up to 3rd, speed up to 60 and slow down to 30 and shift down to 2nd/1st and start all over. Does this make sense? If so, I can probably find a back road to do it. Thanks in advance.

hdrocks; there's got to be some rural/state 2-lane hard top roads somewhere around your area in IL. I just drove a few miles down the road to a quiet 2.5 mile stretch & this was plenty long. Did the run in one direction (X5) & turned around to do the final 5X. Also, need to keep it in 3rd gear b/c that the point of this break-in (set rings @ certain engine ops.) - don not downshift/change gears unless you have to turn-around.

Find a section of highway that has two exit ramps pretty close together and just go back and forth from one ramp to the other. I found that easier than the back roads where I always seemed to have a cage on my back door.

The cool part is that you can do the 30 - 60 - 30 all day long on a nice ride and not have to worry about doing it one right after another.

thanks for the tips. isn't the idea to stay on the 3rd gear thru-out the entire thing and do 30-60-30 one after another. that's reason i was looking for a place with minimum traffic and no traffic lights. I am going to check out a highway near me early in the morning on Saturday.

thanks for the tips. isn't the idea to stay on the 3rd gear thru-out the entire thing and do 30-60-30 one after another. that's reason i was looking for a place with minimum traffic and no traffic lights. I am going to check out a highway near me early in the morning on Saturday.

I don't think that doing them right after another is absolutely key since it would be really hard to do that unless you were on a real long empty stretch of road. Lots of posts on folks doing this after hundreds or thousands of miles and it made a difference.

Lots of posts on folks doing this after hundreds or thousands of miles and it made a difference.

I am a little dense about this. What kind of difference did it make if the engine already had thousands of miles on it? And, how did they know what difference it made? I am not trying to sound like a jerk, I just don't understand.:coffee

I had my brother follow me home from the dealer. Bike only had 8 miles on it when I left the dealer. I would WOT till I got to 60 then close the throttle till I was down at 30 again. Never went over 4K RPM doing this. Did this till I had about 50 miles on it. I stayed mostly in 3rd gear. My brother said it was good he was behind me since I wasn't using the brakes he would come up on me kind of fast.

I did mine the day the dealer delivered it, First ride on it was down a 7mi. nice flat country road 30-60-30.

Back