free website stats program Where is the high pitch "whine" coming from? | Harley Davidson Forums

Where is the high pitch "whine" coming from?

Paden Cash

I've got a '96 fxsts - stock jugs and crank with a Andrews Industries EV27 cam and a S&S "E" carb w/ 18k on the odo. Got back from a ride this evening and noticed a whine while the bike is idling. I can't hear it at speed because I'm old and deaf AND the bike has straight pipes...The whine increases with the rpms. It's hard to tell if it's coming from the crankshaft end of the primary or the starter.

Today was the first day this season that it got above 80 degrees. The bike was good and warm. I'm gonna start it up tomorrow AM while it's cool and see if it still whines. Anybody got any good ideas as to where to start chasing this noise?

thnx

Primary chain being too tight will cause a whine so check it when the engine is cold
As the engine components heat up the sprockets will expand slightly making the chain tighter so may not whine when cold the correct cold tension allows for heat expansion

Brian

I'm with Brian, sounds like a primary chain too tight.

Check your cam shaft end play, to tight will whine like crazy, did you mix and match the pinion shaft when you changed the cam? They are matched sets

Back