free website stats program When you park, what do you do with your stuff? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

When you park, what do you do with your stuff?

Mine either go in the saddlebags or inside with me. On really short stops where I can watch my bike I might leave the stuff on my bike.

I've seen too many buddies lose helmets and jackets left on bikes.

Ozark

Otherwise, only leave stuff on the bike if you're actually at some type of "bike event" or rally where the unwritten "biker's code" applies.

One year at Americade (Lake George, NY) a group us of stopped to spend a couple of hours in the vendor area. After putting locks on, jackets off, etc we walked to the vendor area. Two hours later we went back to the bikes. Sitting on the seat of my bike was a digital camera with a note on it. "I found this on the ground and remember that you had one in your helmet (which had been on the ground while I was locking the bike). I hope this is yours!"

That camera was about a month old and was over $400. The person didn't even leave their name, so I had no idea who to look for to thank. I only vaguely remember what kind of bike I had parked next to, which was now gone. Not only did he not steal it, neither did anyone else while it sat on my saddle.

There are still a few good people out there.

Last edited:
One year at Americade (Lake George, NY) a group of stopped to spend a couple of hours in the vendor area. After putting locks on, jackets off, etc we walked to the vendor area. Two hours later we went back to the bikes. Sitting on the seat of my bike was a digital camera with a note on it. "I found this on the ground and remember that you had one in your helmet (which had been on the ground while I was locking the bike). I hope this is yours!"

That camera was about a month old and was over $400. The person didn't even leave their name, so I had no idea who to look for to thank. I only vaguely remember what kind of bike I had parked next to, which was now gone.

There are still a few good people out there.

There are a lot of good people out there,sometimes we just become too weathered and cynical to realize it.

One of the many reasons for locking hard saddle bags. If I have my 3/4 helmet, I use my XD barrel lock to secure my helmet to the bike if I'm going to be away from the bike for any length of time. Of course I hope they see the XD logo....and stop and think before I see them...:s

Thorns

I always take every thing with me; I ride Street Bob , no saddles. Now a good helmet is almost 300 bucks plus a good leather jacket same or more, that is almost 800 dollars on stolen goods, wayto much to leave them unattended

I am a vendor at non bike events and I am impressed after 28 years by the honesty of most people. That said, we all know there are a few less than honest people out there that you have to protect against. In short trips I try to just carry my gear. For longer stays I lock stuff behind my seat in the hack and put Xena disc lock on the bike.

Like everyone else on short stops I leave the stuff with the bike. On long stops I either take it with me or lock it up.

Back