free website stats program When will I quit riding?? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

When will I quit riding??

I still feel I'm there sometimes. Anyway-----yeah, I've had the Doc's check it all out----riding doesn't seem to be makin it worse, it just causes more pain if I push it. I had to laugh when I read King's note because I rode to work the other day and my back actually felt better for a change :D I guess the trick is to not freak out when you can't do everything you used to do---just keep doin what ya love.
PS----This is my first Harley. I've had a 73 CB350 to a SpeedTriple and almost everything in between, but I really dig the Harley-------------
It's raw, mechanical, solid, has soul, and handles pretty good. All stuff I like.
Thanks again for the input. Cheers, kerry

:) all this PC stuff is new to me. Anyway----yeah, I hear ya about a different bike----I have tried alot of different ones, and ya probibly think " what the (EDITED)" when ya read I have a nightster, but the position just felt right for my back and I'm working on softening it up. When I first got it I was going to put a solo spring seat on it----then I quikly found out that the ECU unit was in a hole on the fender---that screwed that up----now I have my eye on the new 48----
takes care of that problem. Cheers, kerry

Kerry, Language is not permitted on this forum, PC or not.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
How long before I quit riding?..."That Depends" on many many things, if I am "compelled" to do so due to physical or mental incapacity, if I feel unsafe to my self or others or I do not HAVE a "ride" that will bring a satisfying smile to my face or a means to share the joy with.

Kerry, I really hope you get your back sorted, and keep riding. :)

I have lower back pain from many things including a rather
spectacular accident many years ago.
When I started riding again after a 10 year hiatus, I noticed my back
would start complaining after a couple of hours.

I switched to a sundowner seat, and it really made a big difference for me.

Might be something to look into.

And I need to find some back exercises as well.

I installed a drivers back rest, works great. Tried a run without it once but I couldn't do without it now.

Same here. Also went to a lighter helmet to cut down on neck pain. Getting off the bike every 100 miles or so also helps.

Thanks for all the posts guys---it always helps knowin you're not alone---
Martin----I did switch to a different saddle which helped----and yeah man,
I hear ya on the exercises, I do um all the time, and streching----------
really helps. Cheers, kerry

What helps is a small slightly under inflated kids soccer ball. Picked one up at the thrift store and do floor exercise like crunches and arch back with it in the hollow. Initially you will feel warmth and minor aches and pains will start disappearing right away. After doing it 3 times a week, in a couple months, no more pain when riding...

What helps is a small slightly under inflated kids soccer ball. Picked one up at the thrift store and do floor exercise like crunches and arch back with it in the hollow. Initially you will feel warmth and minor aches and pains will start disappearing right away. After doing it 3 times a week, in a couple months, no more pain when riding...

Ditto here, The saw bones has had me on this routine for 2 years now, L 4, L 5, S1 and nerve root damage, but the extracises like i call them help alot, NewHD nailed this one Good Luck and keep smiling

for info some guys replaced stock rear shock on sportster with electra shock for more smoothness. You can find some not expensive on ebay.
I removed my stock rear shocks from my electra to put some "Fournales" instead, a sundowner seat, and a driver backrest.
That's it or no bike. The choice is fast made.

Back